Munich Dunkel Gavin's Majestic Munich Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP833
Yeast Starter
Yes. Lager Pitch Rate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Pitched at 48°F, Fermented at 50°F till 1-2°Plato above FG
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
Cold crashed to 31°F, gelatin finings in FV
Tasting Notes
Malty and delicious. 42.5 and 2nd place (dark lager) in recent Palmetto State Open
I've been making quite a few lagers lately and this dark lager turned out very well. I was trying to incorporate some traditional methods for this one and am glad I did. This is one delicious beer. Big fat foamy persistent head. Malty flavor with slight caramel notes. Similar aroma. Dark ruby color. Smooth creamy mouthfeel. What I want in a Munich Dunkel. More brews of this beer are planned.

Grain Bill (78% Brewhouse Efficiency)
Grainbill.png

NB: The acid malt is needed in my setup as I utilize full-volume mashes. No sparging. Thinner mashes may need some form of additional acid. I use acidulated malt for this reason in calculated amounts and subtract them from the originally planned base malt to keep the OG unchanged. If acid malt is not needed in your setup simply delete it and substitute it with Munich or Pilsner malt.

Hops
Hopbill.png

Yeast
A starter size targeting a lager pitch-rate was prepared in my usual way. WLP 833.

Water Profile
Munich Dunkel water.png

Mash Profile
MAsh Profile Detail..jpg
The mash involved a short protein rest (this is not needed), an infusion to Beta rest, a single decoction to Alpha rest and directly heating the tun to reach mash-out rest. If interested, you can read more about the step mashing process here.

An alternate approach would be to do a single infusion mash at 150°F.

Decoction and Mash pH 5.29
decoct1.001.jpg

Mash pH was a little lower than planned. (5.4 was the planned pH) This lower pH is possibly as a result of the decoction.

Fermentation Profile
Fermentation profile.png

NB: Despite the titles which I use to enable me to enter the differing temperatures with ease in Beersmith, all fermentation is done in the primary. No racking other than to the keg after cold crashing and gelatin fining. Changes to the temperature are dictated by visual clues and measuring the gravity.

OG and FG
OG and FG.jpg

Carbonation and Lagering
Force-carbonated to ~2.8 volumes. This beer was kegged 16 days after pitching the yeast. The beer was lagered at ~34F for about four weeks while carbonating and was good at this point but definitely got better over time. 6 weeks after pitching yeast it is good but this beer had an additional 2 weeks of lagering in the keg prior to me bottling some for competition. (8 weeks total).

Judging
This beer scored a 42.5 and a second place (Dark lager category) in the recent Palmetto State Brewers Open. The judges seem to have liked it. This is a very enjoyable and full-flavored lager in my very biased opinion.

Judges.png

Mmmmmm Munich Dunkel
Riboon beer.jpg
thumb_DSC04336_1024.jpg

I'm very happy with this beer. If you like dark lagers, give this one a try.

Prost!

hmm I Have a slurry of 833 from a vienna I did last week may need to give it a go. Probably will skip the decoction do to time constraints with 2 littles running around.

hmm I Have a slurry of 833 from a vienna I did last week may need to give it a go. Probably will skip the decoction do to time constraints with 2 littles running around.

Sounds like a great plan. I've a Vienna on tap at the moment that I also used WLP833 in. I think the decoction made this lager a touch darker than planned. One thing it got dinged on in competition.

Just had my first Dunkel from a local brewery. It was a change of pace for me but I enjoyed it in a good way. Not something I would drink often but may brew a one gallon batch and use some of it in cooking. Cooking a chuck roast and using this as a braising liquid would be killer.

Just had my first Dunkel from a local brewery. It was a change of pace for me but I enjoyed it in a good way. Not something I would drink often but may brew a one gallon batch and use some of it in cooking. Cooking a chuck roast and using this as a braising liquid would be killer.

I'd advise trying some Bavarian examples. It seems to be a very under appreciated style or at least not a very popular one if the small number of dark lager recipes and views of same are anything to go by.

Hoffbrau Dunkel is a great example of the style and readily available.

A lot of work for a gallon batch to cook with but to each their own. :)

I brewed this 16 days ago, and now that it's been sitting around 32° for two days I'm ready to keg tonight.

This is my first lager, so I'm curious about the wait time before consumption. With ales I've brewed, I usually like to drink them quite young. I'll usually keg after 3 or 4 weeks and then start drinking them immediately. There is occasionally some "homebrewey" flavor during the first week but I kind of enjoy it. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with lagers I think the fermentation time is often longer, but since this is a low gravity beer it fermented out in about a week. I brought it to 68° slowly for the diacetyl rest and then crashed it at 32°. In my mind, the beer should be drinkable at this point after kegging and carbonation, right? I imagine the longer I lager the beer in the keg for, the cleaner it will taste...but is it necessary for the style or just for taste preference?

In my mind, the beer should be drinkable at this point after kegging and carbonation, right? I imagine the longer I lager the beer in the keg for, the cleaner it will taste...but is it necessary for the style or just for taste preference?

Just depends on what you want from your beer. What are your objectives?

If to-style is of concern then a lagering period is likely needed to allow time for suspended yeast and aggregated polyphenols to settle out.

Lagering will also allow mellowing of flavors which is to the benefit of many a lager and darker beer.

Both of these factors will impact, clarity, flavor and the overall perception of the beer, a highly subjective area for sure.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Just depends on what you want from your beer. What are your objectives?

If to-style is of concern then a lagering period is likely needed to allow time for suspended yeast and aggregated polyphenols to settle out.

Lagering will also allow mellowing of flavors which is to the benefit of many a lager and darker beer.

Both of these factors will impact, clarity, flavor and the overall perception of the beer, a highly subjective area for sure.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for the quick reply! Being my first lager, my primary goal was to get my feet wet with the lager fermentation process using a dual-stage temp controller and produce a decent tasting beer. I have no intentions of entering it into any competitions or sharing it with anyone who is an expert in lagers... so I guess I sort of answered my own question! I'll probably try it shortly after kegging and then continue to age it to see how it improves.

Thanks!
Ted

Back