What causes terrible tasting head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilsons

Reaction score
i had my second case of a commercial brew having terrible tasting head, the first time i experienced this was with Orval, head was terrible, on both bottles i tried, but in that case i did not like the beer either so i didnt think about it to much.

now, yesterday i tried Stones old guardian Barleywine, i really liked this beer, but once again, the head tasted terrible, anyone have any insight on this?

I'm glad the reply didn't disappoint me. We're generally pretty tolerant of innuendo, but god damn man, you're making it hard not to go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot in good conscience answer this. That and I don't want another post deleted due to foul humor. So I will keep my comment to myself.

I know carbon Dioxide can cause off flavors (acid like flavors). I have had one of my beers that tasted awful at first due to this. But as it aged the flavors mellowed out and became very drinkable. But I am not sure that this was just isolated to the Head and I would think that beer distributed on a "commercial" level would have their products aged properly

Foam is 25% beer and the rest is air and CO2. So pretty muc the head will take on the flavor of the beer. However, as mentioned above, CO2 on its own does not taste good. The acidity can increase the perceived bitterness and make it taste bad. Perhaps you are especially perceptive of CO2...

Maybe just stop going after the head so aggressively...

Latest posts

Back