bottling just a quarter of my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maenad

Reaction score
I'm making apple cider with a Young's kit. It's finished fermenting, but I only have a few bottles, and have NO time to get more for a few more weeks! :)

If I bottle 4 litres of the cider now, so it's ready for a party in 10 days, will the remaining cider be fine in the carboy for a few weeks? Or will all the oxygen in there create problems?

Do you know anyone addicted to drinking soda and has a some 2 litre bottles? Clean them up and sanitize them and they work great for quick things like this.
10 days is not much time to carbonate, so I would just serve it still, and you may need to back sweeten to lighten any possible hot esters unless you have been ageing this cider for 8 months or more.
Hope it is a big hit.

thanks for the advice: I'll leave it and wait.

I live in Istanbul so ordering bottles online wouldn't work!

If it is not carbed could you find any good canning jars locally? They would do ok until you got some nice bottles. Just fill them quite full to minimize the head space and then you should have no problems with oxidation. I am thinking of doing this if I can't find enough bottles for my Apfelwein. Just clean very well.

thanks, but the kit explains how to carbonate it, and I'd love to do that. I'll hold out until I collect enough soda bottles!

Latest posts

Back