No bubbling almost three days after pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorphia

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've got a 25 litre bucket full of apple juice, into which I pictched yeast almost three days ago. No bubbling in the airlock yet. I made the juice using a kitchen juicer so it has more sediment at the bottom than one would normally have, but it worked fine like this last time. On the basis of last time, the bucket does not leak gas (it bubbled a lot then, but I can't remember how long it took to get started). I used champagne yeast, the type that comes in a fluid in a plastic packet with a nutrient capsule inside which you break before pitching. The packet started swelling as it should, so I know the yeast was alive at least at the point I pitched it.

Many guides are saying after 48 hours with no bubbling, something went wrong, so pitch more yeast. I would do that, except for one thing. On top of the sediment, since I pitched the yeast, there has appeared a layer, perhaps 5mm thick, of white stuff, which looks to me like yeast. Is it possible that this is living yeast which for some reason is just not releasing CO2 yet? Do I need to just chill a while longer?

I am a bit stressed because I go abroad for a week this evening and am leaving this in the tender care of my wife who will probably not be able to pitch more yeast!

Cheers,

Ben

amorphia said:
Hi all!

I've got a 25 litre bucket full of apple juice, into which I pictched yeast almost three days ago. No bubbling in the airlock yet. I made the juice using a kitchen juicer so it has more sediment at the bottom than one would normally have, but it worked fine like this last time. On the basis of last time, the bucket does not leak gas (it bubbled a lot then, but I can't remember how long it took to get started). I used champagne yeast, the type that comes in a fluid in a plastic packet with a nutrient capsule inside which you break before pitching. The packet started swelling as it should, so I know the yeast was alive at least at the point I pitched it.

Many guides are saying after 48 hours with no bubbling, something went wrong, so pitch more yeast. I would do that, except for one thing. On top of the sediment, since I pitched the yeast, there has appeared a layer, perhaps 5mm thick, of white stuff, which looks to me like yeast. Is it possible that this is living yeast which for some reason is just not releasing CO2 yet? Do I need to just chill a while longer?

I am a bit stressed because I go abroad for a week this evening and am leaving this in the tender care of my wife who will probably not be able to pitch more yeast!

Cheers,

Ben

I'd move to to a warmer area and add some yeast nutrient if you have not already done so. Then go on your 1 week trip and don't worry about it.
Champagne yeast is pretty hearty do it may just need more time to get going. The yeast needs oxygen to reproduce and we're all worried about too much oxygen in the juice, but sounds like you should have lots of O2 if your juicer works like mine.
Don't sweat it, have a brew and leave as planned.

Mike

Alright Mike, thanks for the advice! I have just left it. Still no bubbling according to my wife but I guess it will just have to wait a week till I get back and measure the SG to see it there was any activity. Even if the yeast is dead, I guess the juice will be alright waiting another week?

Cheers,

Ben

Back