Sparging with ionized water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I use watet from an artesian well for my AG brewing. The well is across town and I get by filling up water jugs. This water gives me a near perfect chemistry for my mash.

My current jug apacity is 11 gallons, which is half of what I need. Is there any reason not to use purified water (available 1/2 block away)for sparging, etc. Am I correct in thinking that the sparge is just rinsing out the sugars and chemistry is no longer important?

wrong. DI water will not maintain the desired acidity during sparge and will result in tannin extraction.

Artesian water is no guarantee that it is perfect for mash chemistry. That water may be right for one beer and poor for another style or it may not be good for anything. You just can't tell by stating that the water is 'Spring Water' or 'Artesian Water'.

Hopefully you have a water report or have had it lab tested. You should visit the Bru'n Water site and download Bru'n Water to help with your mash water chemistry. There is a large section on Water Knowledge included with the program.

Regarding the use of ionized water, it might be OK for sparging if the pH is within the desired range of 5.5 to 6.0. You mention Ionized Water. That is somewhat of a meaningless term. Now if you meant Deionized Water, then it might be a good starting point for sparging. The problem with using un-mineralized water like this is that the overall ion content in the wort may not be sufficient for several important processes in the ferment. The most important would be to have the Ca content at a minimum of 40 ppm (preferably 50 ppm) and the Mg content at a minimum of 5 ppm. Using deionized water may not be a problem if that artesian water already had high Ca and Mg and this dilution just brings it down to reasonable levels.

Visit the Bru'n Water site here:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

mabrungard said:
Artesian water is no guarantee that it is perfect for mash chemistry. That water may be right for one beer and poor for another style or it may not be good for anything.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Thanks for the info. Yep I meant de_ionized water. I wrote this post from work where i was without my brewing books. I was in a rush just to get info before heading home passing by the well.

I know the artesian well water works well for my styles (british). I submited a water report here last year and got the thumbs up on the water.

A brewing friend works for the dept that tests the water, he says it is really heavy in minerals. I used to test the ph but found it close to perfect each time and now just go with it. I was well read last year on chemistry but have gotten lazy and stupid. Thanks for the reminder that this water won't work for some of the different styles I have coming up.

If I am going to pay more attention to water chemistry I need something besides those cheap test strips.

Back