help tweaking a joy of homebrewing recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
Its been awhile since i pulled out this book, butwas flipping through and saw a beer that caught my interest. Page 179-180 Good Night in Mexico. I am planning on converting it to an AG version, but that's the easy part.

I can't lager since I don't have the means to. Would a kolsh yeast fermented at ale temps (usually mid 60s to upper 60s in my basement) work? This recipie is a supposedly a dark lager.

I have read that you can "pseudo" laget using a kolsh yeast. Any truth? The only yeasts I have a lot of experience with are S05, S04, 1056, WP001,and a few other wyeasts.

Any advice appreciated.

You can get very lager-like results using a neutral dry yeast. A yeast like wlp011 would also work. A few years back I did a dark lager, split the batch and fermented using a lager yeast and Nottingham (low 60s). Really could not tell the difference, except the Notty batch was almost gone before the lager was done conditioning.

would s004 or s005 be good a good choice? Also I probably will be more in the mid 60s

I'd hesitate to use a Kolsch yeast in the mid-upper 60s (especially if that is your basement temp and not the fermentation temp). Or rather, I should say, I wouldn't expect it to be a good match for a lager yeast. If you can get the fermentation temp down to the high 50s- low 60s, then I say go for it (though I don't know how low these yeasts can handle).

Another option would be the San Francisco Lager yeast (WLP810).

If you are stuck with temps in the mid-high 60s then I would go with s-05 or the equivalent. Won't be the same as a lager, but is your "cleanest" yeast option at those temps.

Back