Sparging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
I do batch sparging. Should the temperature be 170F after you mix the water with the used grains or should the water be 170F before going in? I've been having this weird astringent aftertaste in my beers, may be tannins.

I shoot for 170* after the grains are in, otherwise it's not going to be much different than your mash temp.

I had a similar problem for two batches. After that I started testing my thermometers. Turns out the two that I was using to measure mash temp were off between ten and fifteen degrees at 170. Got a better thermometer and have not had a problem since.

From what I understand, temperature isn't all that important in batch sparging. I start with 190 +/- degree water and it drops down to 165-170. YMMV.

My astringent batches were beers that I mashed at a higher temp (155-156) to get a more dextrinous flavor profile. Best I figure, I was extracting tannins during the mash, not the sparge. My efficiency was terrible, too. Since I replaced my thermometer, I have been getting 75%+ efficiency and no astringent flavors.

Astringency is much more a function of pH than temperature. If you have astringency issues, pH is the first thing to look at.

Back