25 mins into boil of 1st BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
I'm trying out a 2.5 gallon batch of a SNPA clone for my first attempt at this. I have to say, it may take longer than extract, but is MUCH easier once the boil starts. No turning off heat & mixing in LME or DME. Only 1 hot break to keep from boiling over. Plus the 3.5 gallon boil pretty much eliminates a boil over anyway in a 30 qt kettle. I do have a question (and i'm hoping the answer is yes)...will my post boil gravity be higher than my pre boil gravity? If not, i'm gonna have a case of 3.0% ABV SNPA. Which is better than no SNPA at all, i guess.

crbrown25 said:
I'm trying out a 2.5 gallon batch of a SNPA clone for my first attempt at this. I have to say, it may take longer than extract, but is MUCH easier once the boil starts. No turning off heat & mixing in LME or DME. Only 1 hot break to keep from boiling over. Plus the 3.5 gallon boil pretty much eliminates a boil over anyway in a 30 qt kettle. I do have a question (and i'm hoping the answer is yes)...will my post boil gravity be higher than my pre boil gravity? If not, i'm gonna have a case of 3.0% ABV SNPA. Which is better than no SNPA at all, i guess.

Yes, your gravity will be higher do to the loss during the boil. I usually lose about a gallon to the boil.

Thanks. Just finished up. Right...obvious in retrospect that boiling off water would raise gravity. 1.033 (adjusted for temp) to 1.050. And yes...went from 3.5 gal to about 2.5 gal. And thanks Deathbrewer and Seven for the awesome tutorials on BIAB. I hope the final product turns out good because i love the process of BIAB.

66% efficiency as far as i can figure. have to admit i'm not exact on a couple temps & volumes to calculate gravity. not bad i guess for a 1st try. of course the only measurement that matters will be in 6 or 7 weeks when i crack one open.

66% efficiency as far as i can figure. have to admit i'm not exact on a couple temps & volumes to calculate gravity. not bad i guess for a 1st try. of course the only measurement that matters will be in 6 or 7 weeks when i crack one open.

That's about what I get for my stovetop BIAB efficiency wise. I've personally found that if I pump some heat and stir for a minute or two at 20 and 40 minutes into the mash I can maintain temp pretty decently. I love this process though! It's a nice change of pace and I'm totally on board with the whole small batch idea.

That's about what I get for my stovetop BIAB efficiency wise. I've personally found that if I pump some heat and stir for a minute or two at 20 and 40 minutes into the mash I can maintain temp pretty decently. I love this process though! It's a nice change of pace and I'm totally on board with the whole small batch idea.

I may try your idea of adding heat at those intervals on my next batch. I did lose 2 or 3 degrees during the 60 min mash. Too bad my kettle is about an inch too tall to fit into my oven.

I wanted to try the oven idea and my pot is small enough but the oven only goes down to 175* so that option was a no go.

I wanted to try the oven idea and my pot is small enough but the oven only goes down to 175* so that option was a no go.

Turn the oven to 175, once it is at temp put the pot in, turn off the oven. There is enough mass that the mash will not rise more than a degree and with the hot oven walls and lack of air flow you will not loose heat. Just make sure that you turn the oven off as you are putting the pot in. I don't do BIAB, but I do use my oven for temp resting meats.

Back