Brew pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyadams

Reaction score
Need some advice. I brew 5 gal extract witch I would like to up it to 10 for my house brew s and don't want to limit myself from going ag in the future. What size brew pot should I pick up. I've heard 15 and 20 gal can I do a 5 gal batch in a 20 gal pot or 15 gal any help would be appreciated cheers

Buy the biggest you can afford and have space for. I have a 15 and it is barely big enough for a 10 gallon batch.

And, you can always do a five gallon batch in whatever size.

You certainly could do a 5g batch in a 15g kettle, I have a 13g and do 5+ all grain batches. You kind of have to think about what volume you may want to get to meaning if you think you will move to 10g batches then a 20g kettle may be the best bet otherwise I'd go with a 15g kettle!

Just my thoughts anyway and good luck

Either size would work. Depending on the surface area (diameter) it would be a good idea to find out the boil off rate for whichever you should choose before brewing your first batch.

How would I figure out the boil off rate just a test run

yes, a test run will work, or you can just guess for your first batch and either boil longer or top up w/ a bit of water.

10 -20% is a reasonable place to start depending on variables.

If you plan on doing mostly 5 gallon, then a 15 is reasonable. If you plan on mostly 10 gallon batches, get the 20. While a 20 gallon will work fine for 5 gallon batches, it is a huge pot and will be a little inconvenient for small batches.

When I went to a 15 gallon kettle my boiloff went from 1.25 gallons an hour(36quart) to 2 gallons per hour. The diameter of kettle seems to be the cause as the rate doesn't change with more wort. To answer your question yes just boil off water and calculate the difference.

For 10g batches you will almost certainly need a propane burner.
If you currently use the kitchen stove for the boil, and go for a bigger pot, you may find:

1. The bigger pot won't fit on the stove
  2. The stove won't be able to boil as well as it does with a smaller pot
  3. The stove won't be able to boil a larger volume
A propane burner would address all of these issues, but perhaps you already have one.

-a.

I plan on doing my house brews @ 10 gal so I don't brew as often but different brews at 5 gal I can still do on the stove so a 20 gal brew pot would be the most convenient for 10 gal batches

Is there a microwave oven or shelving over your stove top? This may limit the height of the brew kettle you choose. A good propane burner that I use for my outdoor brewing is the Bayou SQ 14. Amazon sells this for $45-50 and it does brews from 5-10 gallons.

two quick things
1) buy a taller then wider pot, less area for steam
2) Make sure you have some way to heat that much water

have fun..really three things with that last one LOL

I dont' have one, but if I was doing it all over again, I would look at the Penrose Kettle.

It is big enough for a 10 gallon full boil, taller than wide, and the right price. It's also stainless steel, a plus for many people.

L

Check this out. Polar Ware 10.5 Gallon Economy Kettle w/ball valve : Northern Brewer It's a 10.5 gal kettle from NB that they just started selling. The price is awesome. They sell it without the valve for 80 bucks. I don't know that you will be able to to 10-gal boils however. Maybe.

I paid $230 for a 10 gal pot last year, but it's more sturdy then this new one from NB I believe.

Ill definitely brew the ten gal batches outside just not sure what brew kettle to buy but its a blichmann burner

Spike's selling a similar kettle to the polarware with a welded port; 20 for a ball valve. It's 125 total shipped. A few bucks cheaper at least.

I looked at the penrose, but my problem with it is that it doesn't include a lid. Probably not a big deal, but it's something that caught my eye in the details.

Based on you wanting to do 10 gallon batches, I think you'll need at least a 15g kettle.

I also switch back and forth between 10 and 5 gallon batches. My 15 gallon kettle has been perfect for this. You have to watch it pretty close on the big batches, though. Other than that, it's been great.

I went to a 15 gallon kettle but wish I had gotten the 20gal. I am surprised no one has mentioned it but I had issues cooling my 10 to 12 gal batches. I am now upgrading to a plate chiller and possibly some pumps. My point is if you try to save some money there is always something else you will have/want/need to buy.

anthonyadams said:
Mindhop how are you chilling your 10 gallon batches

With a copper wart chiller. It worked great for my smaller kettle but after a certain point I think it's just to small.

anthonyadams said:
Did you make or buy a bigger one?

I was going to make a bigger one but I might switch to a plate chiller. It takes a little longer to chill the wort in large batches but it is doable. I would say go for the 20gal kettle and figure the wort chiller afterwards. I just bottled 3 1/2 cases last night. Can't do that in a five gallon batch.

:cheers:

No I never did. I plan on getting a plate chiller and some pumps. It's an expensive addiction!

Back