Wyeast 3711 bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spauld

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison recently that seems to have reached it's terminal gravity at 1.002. It was fermented with the Wyeast French Saison yeast in a 15 G stainless conical, which I've tried to dump yeast from on two occasions now. I realize this yeast is a low flocculator, but I'm on day 39 now and most of the yeast still appears to be suspended in the bier. The flavor and aroma is about right, so I don't suspect any foul play.

As a rule, I like to clear my Belgian-style brews (particularly Trappist-styles) and then re-yeast with a fresh starter prior to bottling, corking and moving to the warm-room. So here's my question: Has anyone else experienced this super slow flocculation and if so, are you trying to clear the bier before packaging?

It occurs to me that I might simply be able to prime and bottle since this is not an especially high-alcohol brew. ..so I guess another question would be...has anyone simply primed and packaged a 6.8% ABV bier made with this low-flocculating yeast? I'd be hesitant to pitch new yeast with it being so darn cloudy.

I'd try to force the yeast out by chilling, but the conical is in a my small cellar with three other conicals (all full of fermenting bier), so I can't really drop the cellar temps in an attempt to drop the yeast.

Any and all info from those who have used this yeast would be appreciated.

I just bottled 5 gallons of saison made with 3711. This beer cleared nicely in the primary at 5 weeks.
I used 4oz of corn sugar mixed in a pint of water. It has been in the bottle for 2 weeks and is carbed and crystal clear.
My fermentation temps ranged between 65 and 75.
It is also 6.5% .

I treat it like turbo fermented beer. I let it finish, give it a couple days, throw it in bottles and you're done. That 3711 is good for 12% and it's crazy active. With all the yeast still in suspension you're fine to bottle as it is. You just might get a little more sedimentation than you'd like over time with a bottle in the fridge.

Thanks SmokingHole and BillyBrewer; the info you've provided tells me I can proceed to packaging. Also sounds like re-yeasting is not necessary with this strain, and in fact doing so would put TONS of yeast in the bottles. Probably not something I want at pouring time. Others I've spoken with confirm what you say about it's reliable performance. Cheers!

Back