Krausen question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
I have made a newcastle brown clone.

I have left it in the primary for about 4 weeks.
I went to transfer it to secondary today and I noticed all the krausen has fallen off the side of the bucket and clumped in giant whitey blobs in the beer.
It kind of looks like mushed wet bread

The beer is coming out in a swamp watery clear brown look. It just doesnt seem normal.

The blobs do not at all look like mold, and I am wondering what has happened. If this is nothing to worry about. etc.

I can not.
The best I cam describe it as the sediment that usually falls to the bottom, half of it rose to the top of the beer and was floating. it was mushy and brown-ish in colour. And the beer colour in the secondary came out as a watery brown. Like that you would find in a dirty puddle.

I really do not think this is how it was supposed to turn out. And this is the first beer where there was major floating elements.

The only new thing I did this time was use Irish moss

I had a similar thing happen with an American brown a few months ago. I let it sit in secondary until it fell completely clear. It turned out well! Without seeing what you have, it's hard to say for sure, but this could be a RDWHAHB situation. See how it progresses in secondary.

It's not the same, but I bottled a pale ale fermented with US-05 that just would NOT flocc until I finally made space in my beer fridge to cold crash it. It looked downright milky until I got it in the fridge. I've never had that problem before with US-05. Tastes great though.

This is obviously a totally different situation, but my point is that fermentation can just wind up doing weird stuff. If it tastes bad, worry then. Otherwise...

Back