Ferm Build w/ AC unit (lot of Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwiggler

Reaction score
Here is my fermentation chamber build to give ideas to anyone that needs them.

CIMG0053.jpg

CIMG0054.jpg

CIMG0055.jpg

CIMG0058.jpg

CIMG0060.jpg

some more. Still need to paint and inclose the bottom. The bottom will be perfect for storing pots, mash tun and extra supplies. I can get at least 6 carboys in it. Instead of a door i used velcro. Made it look like a cabniet to please SWMBO. Works Great!!

105$ wood/supplies
30$ ac unit (graigs list-almost new)
80 digital temp controller

CIMG0070.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

Nice job! looks good but did you zip it to the wall or something? cause imo it looks like it could get top heavy and fall. just my two cents.

Love it! Do you have any issues with the stock thermostat on the AC? Or are you only fermenting ales, and do not need to worry about going below the factory lowest temperature?

i've been looking to utilize an a/c unit i have laying around also. I was concerned with the power cutting off what happens to the settings on the unit since mines slightly digital. I will have to test.

Is the OP's a/c unit really simple or something and how is it handling a fermtemp controller?

If you want to get the a/c to cool below ~60 you'll have to override the internal temp sensor on the a/c which switches off the a/c's compressor when the temp drops below 60.

You can re-wire the a/c, buy a coolbot ($299) or attach a lightbulb or other heat source to the temp sensor (located behind the front grill) which turns on whenever the temp controller (johnson, Ranco, etc.) kicks in.

It's worth the trouble if you want a larger fermentation/lagering chamber than a chest freezer.

nice... wouldn't it have been easier to load/unload though with the ferm chamber on the bottom and the storage on top? lifting those 7gal carboys can get old! lol

nice... wouldn't it have been easier to load/unload though with the ferm chamber on the bottom and the storage on top? lifting those 7gal carboys can get old! lol

Agreed! Plus the temperature will almost always be cooler on the bottom (unless your heating ductwork runs right underneath that floor or you have radiant heating or something lol).

If you want to get the a/c to cool below ~60 you'll have to override the internal temp sensor on the a/c which switches off the a/c's compressor when the temp drops below 60.

You can re-wire the a/c, buy a coolbot ($299) or attach a lightbulb or other heat source to the temp sensor (located behind the front grill) which turns on whenever the temp controller (johnson, Ranco, etc.) kicks in.

It's worth the trouble if you want a larger fermentation/lagering chamber than a chest freezer.

Will this cause the evaporator to freeze up, since they aren't designed to go that low? I'm thinking about building a chamber, but I also have access to a free refrigerator. The chamber would be bigger, but I really want to do lagers, and I was worried that an AC unit wouldn't handle it.

Looks great, just built a similar one myself, holds temp great. One thing i did was add two 120V computer style fans inside, really circulates the air well.

Sorry, been out of town this weekend at a bluegrass festival (that had pale ale on tap-times are changin)

The ferm is very stable, when the bottom is enclosed it will be more stable.

I used thin (may be 8th inch?) plywood- 8 dollar a sheet at lowes, for all sides of the ferm.

I took the thermostat on the ac unit and wired it to the outside, it takes about 4 minutes for the ambient air inside to go from 75 degrees to 35 degrees.

I tape the temperature controller probe to the most recent brewed carboy and put a hand towel over it to insulate it. The ac unit only comes on about once an hour for 2 to 3 mins. I keep it at 65, the wife has not seen an increase in the power bill, which was a big concern of hers.

Will this cause the evaporator to freeze up, since they aren't designed to go that low? I'm thinking about building a chamber, but I also have access to a free refrigerator. The chamber would be bigger, but I really want to do lagers, and I was worried that an AC unit wouldn't handle it.

I haven't run into any problems with the compressor freezing up on me. I've been running the a/c for the chamber at 45 degrees for the past week. It cycles on for about 2 minutes every half hour. It's still not fully insulated yet (I only have 1 layer of 1/2 inch insulation currently, I will be adding another 1/2 inch layer this weekend) because I would like it to cycle a little longer every few hours. Many people have similar chambers but ymmv. FYI I use a 5,000 btu ge unit (more than enough).

Good Luck

I don't, but I will try to get some measurements and supplies list. A lot of stuff going on this spring so give me some time. Thanks for the interest.

I lioke what you have done with A/c unit I'm getting ready to build mine in a couple of weeks I will be looking at what you have done.

Why did you go with foam board? I would think just standard R-13 wall insulation would work well, especially since you had a 2x4 frame all around the chamber. I am planning my ferm chamber build, and I cant figure out why no one uses regular insulation for houses?

Why did you go with foam board? I would think just standard R-13 wall insulation would work well, especially since you had a 2x4 frame all around the chamber. I am planning my ferm chamber build, and I cant figure out why no one uses regular insulation for houses?[/QUOT

Wood is a poor insulator, I put foam board in so there wouldn't be any direct contact with cold air and the plywood or 2X4s. Its also fairly cheap, easy to work with and I made it all most air tight. I was a little worried a bout humidity because I live in south ga. Useing it also left the "space" in between to put wall insulation in, if you look at the pic with the cover off but foamboard up, you can see it on the left side. Probly over kill but can only help insulate it more.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing how you have the thermostat and controller wired.

So the A/C temp probe is just in Ambient air and the Johnson Control just turns the power to the window unit on and off?

I was thinking you some how connected the controller to the A/C temp probe or something...

Pretty Simple! Nice! I've got to go back and look at the window unit I have, I think it has a digital display vs. a manual switch.

Thanks!

Looks good!!! I finished mine recently and probably it has about the same dimensions as yours. Mine is 5' X 3' X 3' and I'm thinking about using a window AC unit to cool mine in the summer. I have a ceramic heat lamp in it right now and it can keep a constant 68 degrees in an un-insulated garage.

Back