Flaked grains in partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdizz

Reaction score
Want to make an oatmeal stout with flaked oats and flaked barley as adjuncts. How much base malt should be used with flaked grains in a partial mash to convert starches? Is it pound for pound?

I'd try to keep it at least 50/50 if possible (base grains - flaked adjuncts). I've never had a problem with conversion but I've never used more than 2 lbs of adjuncts, and always had at least 2 lbs of base malt.

Keep it simple. Pound for pound is a no-brainer and will work with any base malt and any combination of specialty grains.

50/50 would be one THICK beer. I love oatmeal stouts and usually double the oats from the recipe and it turns out fantastic.

Bottling my version of this one tonight..

Ol' Leghumper Oatmeal Stout

I agree, 50/50 for an AG recipe would be too much flake. The OP is doing a partial mash though, so I was assuming he's just matching his flaked adjunct amounts with at least that much base malt.

Yeah keeping it simple seems the best way to go for me at this point, thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on using toasted malt in stouts?

Back