Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris75

Reaction score
I am going to start to brew partial mask kits and was wondering if a standard digital thermometer would work or does this have to be stainless steel? I have looked for many different types and the ones at brewshops are all around 30 dollars and a standard food grade thermometer is around 10.

Could someone please help with this answer.

Thanks

Any type of thermometer is fine- as long as it's accurate. You could check it in boiling water, and in ice water, and see if it's accurate. Sometimes the cheapest thermometer you have is the "best" that way. I use several different ones, but the best one I have is just a plain Jane dairy thermometer.

I think any thermometer would be fine. Stainless will not break in your wort but a normal thermometer is probably fine. We bought a cheap meat thermometer from Crate and Barrel. It was 10 bucks and is digital and stainless. I would check on their site first and see if the they still have it. It works great!

I bought a cheap one at target 18.00 bucks, it had a timer, and was digital. works just great.

I think any thermometer would be fine

Make sure you check it. Get a bowl of ice water and put it in. What's the temp. Also - is bowling 212? If you have any other thermometer double check it.

You would be surprise how many are off by 10 degrees.

HO - YooperBrew beat me to it !! DAMN YOU! LOL

I could only add that getting a water proof one is a big plus. As careful as I try to be, sometimes your thermometer is going to get wet.
You can only dry them out so many times.

I second the cheap one. Save the twenty bucks and get an auto siphon, or another primary, or a case of bottles, or a cheap recipe, or a thief (turkey baster), or a new hydrometer after you break the one you have...

I use a chef style thermometer, and it works just fine. It's a bit like this pic I found online:

http://www.chefscloset.com/catalog/images/T220-wm.jpg

The one I have probably cost me eight bucks at the supermarket. Just be sure it reads 32 degrees f in a big cup of ice water, or to adjust for boiling if you calibrate to boiling at altitude.

Latest posts

Back