Trying to make a small IPA taste big

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RitsiGators

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am trying to make an IPA that stays under 1.060 for my OG but tastes like a much larger beer. I am aiming for an IPA with a strong malt backbone, decent mouthfeel, and of course, a ton of hops. Here is my idea to try and realize this, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 Gallons Efficiency:64% OG: 1.057 FG: 1.014 IBU's: 93
Mash @ 154

Malt

4lbs Marris Otter (32.6%)
2lbs Munich (16.3%)
2lbs Flaked Barley (16.3%)
1.5lbs Vienna (12.2%)
1lb White Wheat (8.2%)
1lb Caramel 60 (8.2%)
12oz Aromatic (6%)

Hops

0.4oz Magnum First Wort (23 IBU's)
1.2oz Cascade @ 20 (18 IBU's)
1.2oz Centennial @ 15 (21 IBU's)
0.6oz Simcoe @ 15 (13 IBU's)
1.2oz Cascade @ 10 (11 IBU's)
1.2oz Centennial @ 5 (9 IBU's)
1.0oz Cascade @ Flameout
0.6oz Simcoe @ Flameout

Dry Hop with:
1.0oz Cascade
1.2oz Centennial
0.8oz Simcoe

Yeast:
US-05

Any suggestions on the grain bill would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was also thinking of using S-04 instead of US-05 to prevent the yeast from drying the beer out too much, but I generally use US-05 in my IPA's so I am leaning towards sticking with the US-05.

Thank You!!

What's the SRM on that thing?

I'd suggest melanoiden for maltiness and mashing high. Three Floyd's Apocalypse Cow IIPA uses lactose and that would certainly up the mouthfeel. Err on the low side of ferm temps and you'll have a pretty thick IPA. I'm all about the IPAs with a significant malt backbone, sounds like a good venture.

It looks good to me. The only thing different I might do is simplify it some. I have found that some simplification usually makes better beer. That's not to say this may not be great. I have a narrow pallet. I like it bitter ,dry and hoppy.

According to beersmith the SRM is predicted at 12, so towards the high side, but still within guidelines. Are you suggesting to replace the aromatic with melanoiden? And if so any recommendations for amounts?

I was thinking about simplifying as well, maybe cutting out the Vienna and/or Wheat and upping the Marris Otter and Munich? Personally I like all hoppy beer's but my dad really likes extremely malty and hoppy beers so I'm trying to figure out a recipe for him to try out.

2lb of flaked barley is an adventurous choice. I had 1.5lb in a 9% RIS, and it pours like a Guinness. All whitish cream with an "upward waterfall" of bubbles as the beer settles.

2lb of flaked barley is an adventurous choice. I had 1.5lb in a 9% RIS, and it pours like a Guinness. All whitish cream with an "upward waterfall" of bubbles as the beer settles.

That sounds awesome!

I am debating doing a 1 Gal test batch of this, but at the same time i figure that since I like pretty much any hoppy beer I will probably like the end result even if its not what I was aiming for...

Themadfermentationist.com has a recipe with tasting notes on a Session Vienna IPA. Check that out for ideas, because he includes his thought process for big taste in small beer recipe formulation. I plan to brew that one as is some day (maybe with flaked oats for body as per his comments in his tasting notes), then adjust to my taste later if needed.

If I were attempting this, I would probably do MO and Vienna in equal amounts, and then probably about 8 oz of Crystal 60 and mash at 154*F.

phenry said:
If I were attempting this, I would probably do MO and Vienna in equal amounts, and then probably about 8 oz of Crystal 60 and mash at 154*F.

+1, with an exception. Keep the caramel at 1 pound. I also think you should keep the flaked barley

Also, to maximize malt, do a no sparge brew if possible.and I like so4 over so5 anyways

Back