Single hop - Cascade or Chinook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becsbrew

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what to brew next (so far I've done two batches: a red ale and I've got a porter ready to bottle...).

Thinking about a partial mash batch with just Cascade...or just Chinook (whole from a local grower).

Maybe a pale ale?

How should I decide? Anyone have any recipe suggestions?

If you get the whole hops from the local grower, remember that they have to be dried out before you use them.

I've made a Cascade/Two Row APA SMASH before, and it was the first homebrew my Coors-drinking SWMBO liked.

I just did 10lbs Two Row (if you did it with extract, it'd be 7.5lbs pale LME)
1.0 oz Cascade @ 60
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5

Safeale S-05 Yeast

If you wanna do a straight up pale ale, I would definitely recommend the Cascade. Chinook can be harsh, especially if you overdo it. It works in things like arrogant bastard, but you have to be careful with it, IMO.

Could always use cascade for bittering and flavoring, and dry hop with chinook for that wonderful scent.

I agree with unionrdr. If you have the fermenter space I would do a split batch. I recently did a SMaSH with vienna that I split between chinook and centennial hops. Its not finished yet, dry hopped it last night. I can tell you the centennial is tasting a lot better than the chinook at this point. The centennial is very grapefruity/citrusy. I dont remember exactly what the chinook tasted like, i wanna say it was kinda grassy/herbal but still not terrible.

It really depends on what your tastes are, If you like a more citrusy and fruity hop I would go with the cascade.

Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards Cascade this time around (no extra bucket to split a batch).

How's this sound:

6 lbs light DME
1 lb crystal malt (just happen to have leftover)

whole leaf Cascade hops:

0.5 oz at 60 min
1 oz at 30 min
0.5 oz at 10 min

I also have about a pound of chocolate malt leftover from the last batch - would it be weird to add some, maybe 4-6oz?

I plugged it in to beer calculus (http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe) but I'll admit I don't really know how to use it/interpret the results.

whole leaf Cascade hops:
0.5 oz at 60 min
1 oz at 30 min
0.5 oz at 10 min

That's only around 24 IBU... which seems kinda... low.

I'd probably do:
1.5 oz at 60 min
1.0 oz at 30 min
1.0 oz at 10 min
0.5 oz at 5 min

I also have about a pound of chocolate malt leftover from the last batch - would it be weird to add some, maybe 4-6oz?

I'd only go about 2oz.

Do you only have the 2 ozs of cascade? What is the AA%? How hoppy do you want it? For a just an amber/brown ale - what you'll have using some crystal and a couple oz of chocolate, 25 IBUs would be fine. IPA? Need a little more hop - maybe the chinook for bittering, not more than an oz for 60 min. And then layer in the cascade every 10 mins starting at 30 on down to flameout.

I would use them both Chinook for bittering and cascade for flavor and aroma.

Latest posts

Back