What does SMaSH mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Single malt and single hop. As the name suggests, it's a brew using only one type of malt and one type of hops.

Never done it myself, but, why not? Just another method of brewing I suppose. There may be a more detailed explanation of why, but if so, I'll leave that for someone else to post!! lol

It's a learning strategy; a way to learn about hops and base malts on their own without overwhelming the pallet with other ingredients. It started this way, however many brewers began really enjoying them because for their simplicity in taste despite the educational aspect of it. SMaSH are typically session beers like bitters. A favorite, or so it seems, is vienna malt or munich malt since it won't ferment as dryly as two row or Maris Otter.

I've only done one Smash, and yes I did it for a learning experience.
I used 2 row pale malt and cascade hops. Not only was I able to get a good taste and feel for the malt and hops, but it really turned out to be a very tasty beer. So much so, that I plan to do several other Smash recipes with different malts and hops. And you couldn't ask for a simpler recipe to make.

I have done 1 SMaSH (Munich/Fuggles) and will do 1 SMaSH (MO/WGV). I am doing them as a learning experience as well as I am going to turn the MO/WGV SMaSH into my house ESB by starting it as an Ordinary Bitter SMaSH and building from there.

It really is a great way to get a handle on ingredients, especially base malts/extracts and hops, and how they work together. It is also a way to get a good handle on your brewing process by brewing really simple beers.

By keeping a couple variable the same over a few brews and changing up 1 or 2 you can compare and contrast different things.

One way to do this is by brewing a series of SMaSH beers (Single malt and single hop) One base grain and one hop. Usually these come out as pale ales or Ipas. You could do as many variations of this as you wanted. You could also do a five gallon batch of this, and split it into 2 batches (or 5 i gallon batches) and ferment with different yeast.

Another option would be to use the same amount of base malt say 6-8 pounds and add a pound of a crystal to the recipe and make a series of beers with different combos as well.

Just don't change too many variables at one time, or you will not be able to discern what variable is doing what.

this is not limited to ALL-GRAIN BREWERS ONLY you can SMaSH with extracts as well....

Some liquid extracts, expecially the lightest lovibond ones are SINGLE MALT as well.

Northern Brewer #20053 NB Organic Light Malt Syrup...Or even using XLT DME and a single hop would be an extract alternative.

Or a base extract + a couple ounces of steeping grain and a single hop. This isn't quite a smash...but you can use that to get an idea of how a steeping grain flavors a base of extract.

But there all 100% single malt (non blended/non hopped) Liquid extracts as well.

William's Brewing even offers Marris Otter LME. MARIS OTTER EXTRACT 8 LBS @ Williams Brewing

Briess offers an all Pilsner Malt Extract Pilsner Malt Extract | MoreBeer

So you too can play the SMaSHing game, it's not the sole propriety of the world of AG.

When I posted this info before someone remarked that some of these extracts aren't pure single grain ones, that they actually are a blend. Though there are organic 100% single malt extracts available but I'm not sure where.

No matter if it is blended or not, the concept is the same. A consistent base malt extract with a consistent single hop. As long as the ingredients are the same age, and preferably from the same batch, an extract SMaSH experiment would be educational.

It's a great way for everyone to get more control of their process, AND to get a feeling for how ingredients work with each other.

When I posted the links to the single malt extracts, a couple brewers told me they were going to do the extract smash...I haven't heard how it went.

Just take lots of notes. :mug:

It's also a great way to get your AG process down without blowing alot of money on ingredients. 8lbs 2row, ounce or two of hops and packet of Notty can make a really tasty beer for very little scratch.

SMaSH brews can also be a good tool to experiment with adding individual ingredients to and see what happens. I took one of my plain SMaSH recipes. 8# MO, 18 IBU@ 60min, 1/2oz at 0min and US-05 and subbed 1# rice for a # of the MO.

It's the cartoon bubble that appears over you after the wife has seen the CC statement from your last visit to LHBS.

she-hulkv2-16pic1.gif

Latest posts

Back