Getting less sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stru

Reaction score
I have a two year old lambic-style that seems to get less sour/unimpressive with every sample. I sampled it one year ago and it was fantastic! It had some funk and a medium sharpness that was very pleasing. Six months ago I noticed that the sour flavors were much less pronounced and after tasting it today I'd say they are almost gone. Does this even make sense? I was under the assumption that it would get more sour as time passed.

I have a two year old lambic-style that seems to get less sour/unimpressive with every sample. I sampled it one year ago and it was fantastic! It had some funk and a medium sharpness that was very pleasing. Six months ago I noticed that the sour flavors were much less pronounced and after tasting it today I'd say they are almost gone. Does this even make sense? I was under the assumption that it would get more sour as time passed.

I just dumped a couple of cases of sour beers that I was never going to drink. It was as sour when I dumped as it was when I bottled it 4 years ago.

I can't explain your experience, but it wasn't mine.

To be more clear, this sour is still in the carboy. I'm tasting the gravity samples.

Is it getting sweeter? I had some cans of Escoffier, a New Belgium/Brewery Vivant collab brett beer, that got progressively funkier for a year and a half or so and then got sweeter and fruitier after that. I'm guessing it wasn't actually sweeter in terms of more sugar, but just more perceived sweetness from fruity esters from the brett metabolizing whatever it was that was making it taste funky.

That happens, right? Brett, given enough time, will turn funky weird flavors into fruity flavors of some sort. Right?

I'd definitely say it's a bit more fruity and less funky than it was. I'm just really surprised that it's also less sour. My other sour ales all got considerably more sour with age. I have a berliner that was bland and almost undrinkable two months ago that is now very tart and enjoyable and a Flanders-style that is souring more every day... yet, these two seem to be going in the opposite direction. It confuses me.

Back