Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the start of an infection?? The white spots have me worried

IMG_4353.jpg

IcldSEa.jpg

My Scottish Wee Heavy. :(

I was hoping that this would be ready for St. Paddy's Day (and also not infected). Unfortunately, I mashed in at too high a temp and it only fermented out to 1.020. I added some Yeast Enzyme and Beta Amalyse hoping to wake it up and finish the fermentation, but I think I introduced this instead.

Should I let this roll? Or just dump?

Ill wait and see. If it taste alright ill let it sit. A local brewery makes a sour wee heavy and its amazing

Looks great! I wouldn't think that's infected.

Ok, awesome! My first competition beer so I was freaking out a bit. Any idea what the white stuff is? I've seen the off white spots that are supposedly starsan, but these looked a little more pronounced. Thanks for the response.

Ok, awesome! My first competition beer so I was freaking out a bit. Any idea what the white stuff is? I've seen the off white spots that are supposedly starsan, but these looked a little more pronounced. Thanks for the response.

I don't know, maybe yeast rafts of something. When I rack after primary, there's usually something like that, but I haven't had an unintentional infection yet.

that last pic looks like classic lacto to me. But the previous one IDK...maybe funky-shaped clumps of proteins? Not sure about that one?

Any idea what these spots are? Just noticed them in a batch of Graham's English cider. It has been in secondary since the week before Christmas. Was thinking about bottling it soon. It smelled ok...haven't tasted a sample yet though.

Sorry about the slight fuzziness of the photo and the glare...camera was having a rough go of it in the dark basement.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425827651.700906.jpg

First post here. This was a porter brewed with PB2. It's about 2.5 weeks old in these pictures. This doesn't look like a normal infection. I'm wondering if it could possibly be some fat or something that separated from the PB2 mixture. Still tastes and smells fantastic.

Gzy1wvr.jpg

ro1kpwd.jpg

IcldSEa.jpg

My Scottish Wee Heavy. :(

I was hoping that this would be ready for St. Paddy's Day (and also not infected). Unfortunately, I mashed in at too high a temp and it only fermented out to 1.020. I added some Yeast Enzyme and Beta Amalyse hoping to wake it up and finish the fermentation, but I think I introduced this instead.

Should I let this roll? Or just dump?

Never dump, taste before you do. Let it roll a little longer and give it a try.

This was a wheat beer made with a Kolsch yeast. It's been cold crashing for a few days. It might be hard to see but there is a lighter layer at the top. I know kolsch are top feeders and have low floculation so maybe it's just that?

20150321_125402.jpg

Now that it's been sitting out of the fermebtation chamber for awhile, the layer seems to be getting wider. Is this an issue?

Is this infected? I am brewing with White Labs Sour Mix that contains Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. So technically the answer is yes but I didn't think mold/pellicle woudl start forming in the primary. I brewed 6 days ago and its my first attempt at a sour

IMG_5111.jpg

Is this infected? I am brewing with White Labs Sour Mix that contains Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. So technically the answer is yes but I didn't think mold/pellicle woudl start forming in the primary. I brewed 6 days ago and its my first attempt at a sour

Looks like krausen to me. No mold. No pellicle. Keep that baby shut.

Nope. Beer clears from the top-down. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to. Let it sit in there till the whole thing looks like the top layer.

Thanks, Kolsch yeast is new to me. Every other beer cleared out real quick. Damned top eaters.

Yeah, the 2nd one is looking more like a pellicle to me. The one above that just looks like a normal, albeit very active krausen.

I'll post a picture of what my Carboy looks like tonight. But I've never had an infection before. What do I do if I've got Brett/lacto?

I ha a bad lacto infection in my Maori IPA once. I sanitized the dry hop sack in Starsan too. Scooped out the nasty film & the dry hop sack. Since it was done fermenting & dry hopping, I racked it to the bottling bucket & bottled it asap. If yours is still fermenting, you'll likely have to let it ride. Bret can be another story, as it's used with ale yeasts to make Belgian sours.

I ha a bad lacto infection in my Maori IPA once. I sanitized the dry hop sack in Starsan too. Scooped out the nasty film & the dry hop sack. Since it was done fermenting & dry hopping, I racked it to the bottling bucket & bottled it asap. If yours is still fermenting, you'll likely have to let it ride. Bret can be another story, as it's used with ale yeasts to make Belgian sours.

Well mine is a wheat beer and that's legitimately after one night of fermenting. Brewed it yesterday morning and started fermenting by 1 pm. So an infection really after not even 24 hours!? The bubbles just seem huge compared to other ferments I've had and I did everything as I usually do. Idk where I could've went wrong. But how am I supposed to scoop bubbles out of a Carboy?!

I just scooped the gunk out because it was a bucket. Think about your whole process on brew day. Did you clean & sanitize everything that touched the chilled wort? Every little piece of equipment? What kind of water, if any, did you top off with?

I just scooped the gunk out because it was a bucket. Think about your whole process on brew day. Did you clean & sanitize everything that touched the chilled wort? Every little piece of equipment? What kind of water, if any, did you top off with?

The only thing I can think of is maybe I didnt sanitize my funnel? Everything else was maybe I forgot that. But is my beer ruined or let it ride for the week and taste it? Idk what infections do to be honest!

The only thing I can think of is maybe I didnt sanitize my funnel? Everything else was maybe I forgot that. But is my beer ruined or let it ride for the week and taste it? Idk what infections do to be honest!

View attachment 266570View attachment 266571View attachment 266572

Wheat beer. Been fermenting for one full day. Kind of a funky smell that I can't really describe. But my airlock is going crazy. I've never ever seen this before and it's driving me nuts thinking that my beer is ruined. WHAT DO I DO!?!

It's too late to do anything now, but I seriously doubt that's an infection (based on the fact that you're 24 hours in). I've seen some pics of US-05 fermenting that looks just like that.

RDWHAHB.

It's too late to do anything now, but I seriously doubt that's an infection (based on the fact that you're 24 hours in). I've seen some pics of US-05 fermenting that looks just like that.

RDWHAHB.

Thanks, it's kind of a funky smell though. If it IS infected tho....what do you do? Just see how it tastes and go from there? Or dump and start over?

Back