BIAB pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't recommend adding anything until you figure out what the mash PH is before hand.

When you mash with a low volume of water, pH becomes very important as the grain wants to make your water become alkaline which will cause tannins to become extracted. Since doing brew in a bag uses much more water, this problem just goes away.

When you mash with a low volume of water, pH becomes very important as the grain wants to make your water become alkaline which will cause tannins to become extracted. Since doing brew in a bag uses much more water, this problem just goes away.

I think it's reversed, actually.

The more water, the more alkaline the mash as a rule.

Now I'm confused. I also do BIAB and have gone to full volume mashing without any noticeable change in flavor. Is it better to do full volume mashes or partial with an improvised lautering process?

I think it's reversed, actually.

The more water, the more alkaline the mash as a rule.

From what I've been reading, your are right with a traditional mash but with brew in a bag, you use such a volume of water that it swamps the tendency to make the mash alkaline. At least I've not noticed any astringency with my BIAB.

Reports that folks with ph meters say that stuff doesn't work anyhow.

I think people report this because they take PH of water plus 5.2, before adding grains. 5.2 only works when the grains are added in. Then take your PH.

I haven't used the stuff, but that is the pricinple 5 star uses.

I think people report this because they take PH of water plus 5.2, before adding grains. 5.2 only works when the grains are added in. Then take your PH.

I haven't used the stuff, but that is the pricinple 5 star uses.

I don't know about that. Too many reports from some pretty smart people for me to make the assumption that they all have a flawed methodology.

5.2 is a sodium phosphate buffers. Buffers only work well around the pKa values for the associated acid, in this case 2.16, 7.21 and 12.32.

Since 5.2 is nowhere near any of these values, from a textbook/theoretical point of view, we would expect 5.2 to perform poorly.

More practically several people on the internet (Kai Troester, AJ Delange, myself, others) have done test mashes with 5.2 and observed it to not work well.

Charlie, the creator/chemist from manufacturer 5 star made the statement I referenced above about needing the grains etc, to be in for the 5.2 to work on a podcast on brewers network.

I have never used the stuff, just regurgitating what I heard from the horses mouth. Thanks for the links.

Charlie, the creator/chemist from manufacturer 5 star made the statement I referenced above about needing the grains etc, to be in for the 5.2 to work on a podcast on brewers network.

I have never used the stuff, just regurgitating what I heard from the horses mouth. Thanks for the links.

Yes, even with grain it doesn't seem to buffer around 5.2. It seems to limit the mash pH from going higher than 5.8 which is why I think some brewers see a benefit when they are using it.

Kai

Back