Re-pitching yeast into a Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
This stout has been fermenting for three weeks. 1 week in primary and two in secondary. My OG was 1.120 (was supposed to be 1.094 not sure why the OG was so high) and when I transfered to secondary the gravity reading was 1.050. FG was supposed to be 1.022. I'm worried the beer may be a little sweet so I was planning on drying out by repitching while in secondary and trying to get closer to 1.022. I haven't taken anymore gravity readings since the 1.050.

I was planning on making a starter today and pitching tomorrow with anticipation that fermenting would be done by this weekend and I would bottle Saturday or Sunday.

I guess I am wondering if this is a good strategy? Any other advice? This is my first time re-pitching.

I think you transferred to secondary too fast, and plan on bottling too soon. When brewing a beer that big in my opinion, it should be fermenting for 2+ months. Without taking a new gravity reading you don't know what it is at now, so obviously you need to take a new reading before even thinking about re-pitching; it could be at your target FG already.

Its a stout, stouts need a lot of time... Even thought you may not want to here it but, my suggestion is to let it sit for a few more weeks. Its better to err on the side of caution than to hastily ruin a good batch of beer.

Sounds like good advice. I'm in no hurry to start drinking this one and had planned on a longer fermentation and a long bottle age. I brewed this on on 12/28 so it sounds like I should just be patient and let it set for for at least another month.

Thanks for the advice

:mug:

I'll add. If you are in a rush to bottle it to free up the fermenter, I'd suggest buying a new fermenter. You could easily let a beer that big ferment for 6 months.

No, I have plenty of carboys. I have been wanting to experiment with longer fermentation and longer aging. I was planning on bottling this one in 22oz bombers and bottle aging for a long time as well.

The only drawback is it messes up my pipeline a little bit since this one may not be ready to drink for awhile. I guess I will just have to brew something else that will be ready to drink soon! :)

A Hefeweizen is a beer that should only take two to three weeks to be drinkable. That ought to free up some pipeline =)

Back