My first recipe. Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven1a

Reaction score
I decided to just make a big IPA based off of Bell's Two Hearted but bigger.

Here's the recipe:

5.5 gallon boil.
5 gallon final batch size.

1lbs cara-pils (30 min steep)
6lbs Gold LME (60 min)
2oz Centenial (60 min)
6lbs Gold LME (20 min)
2oz Centenial (20 min)
2oz Centenial (5 min)
2 pkgs Safale US-05
1oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop 10 days)
1oz Centenial (Dry Hop 10 days)

BeerSmith 2 stats:
OG 1.087
IBUs 137
SRM 13
FG 1.019
ABV 9%

Thoughts?

I say go for it! It is a pretty simple recipe that ought to be pretty good. I'd move the 5 min hop addition to 0 minutes though.

I'd back off the carapils to 0.25lbs and replace some of the LME with simple sugar. 1-1.5lbs of sucrose or dextrose would do it.

IIPA's need to finish low (< 1.012). With all of that extract and dextrin malt, you run the risk of a high finishing gravity and a full, sweet IIPA which would pretty much make it a hoppy barleywine.

I use the two hearted grain base to start with every pale ale I brew, great choice. I would add a bid of Vienna malt.

IMO the only thing I would alter for sure is the hop additions. For the record I REALLY like centennial hops. (I have 9 bines of it planted!) 2oz @ 60 is going to be REALLY bitter. If you like really bitter then leave it. If it was me I would hop:

1oz @ 60
1oz @ 30
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 7
2oz @ 0
This is still going to be awfully bitter IMO. I personally have started to move away from that and have found I prefer later additions more so than earlier ones.

Something like:
.50oz @ 60
1oz @ 20
1oz @ 15
1.5oz @ 7
2oz @ 0

The differences seem slight but it will change the beers hop profile fairly drastically. I LOVE the heavy flavor and aroma without the face melting bitter this however is YOUR beer and I simply offer this up as suggestions for consideration.

As the others have mentioned I would reduce the carapils by 50% that is mostly adding mouth feel and head retention. If you are going to use that as a "steeping grain" I would also add in .5 to 1 pound of 2 row but once again I am treading into personal preferences. If you do this heat your water to 165F and then steep the grains for 45 to 90 minutes off the heat, remove the grains, then add your 1st jar/can of extract and bring it to a boil. This should extract some sugars that will help with the hop utilization and provide plenty of head retention.

IF you decide to change up your recipe let us know how you went and how it turned out. Now I want a centennial IPA...lol. :mug:

I'd back off the carapils to 0.25lbs and replace some of the LME with simple sugar. 1-1.5lbs of sucrose or dextrose would do it.

IIPA's need to finish low (< 1.012). With all of that extract and dextrin malt, you run the risk of a high finishing gravity and a full, sweet IIPA which would pretty much make it a hoppy barleywine.

Agreed... I used 1.5lb of Dextrose in the last all grain IIPA I brewed up, and using THREE packs of US-05, and mashing at 150, and oxygenating the hell out of it, I got 89.9% attenuation. Amazing for US-05. I really really REALLY love this yeast for IPAs.

Good luck!!! :mug:

I decided to just make a big IPA based off of Bell's Two Hearted but bigger.

Here's the recipe:

5.5 gallon boil.
5 gallon final batch size.

1lbs cara-pils (30 min steep)
6lbs Gold LME (60 min)
2oz Centenial (60 min)
6lbs Gold LME (20 min)
2oz Centenial (20 min)
2oz Centenial (5 min)
2 pkgs Safale US-05
1oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop 10 days)
1oz Centenial (Dry Hop 10 days)

BeerSmith 2 stats:
OG 1.087
IBUs 137
SRM 13
FG 1.019
ABV 9%

Thoughts?

I'd bump the dry hops up also. I used 2 oz of amarillo and 2 oz of simcoe in my last IIPA, and actually wished I had used 3 of each. You won't regret it
:mug:

1oz @ 60
1oz @ 30
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 7
2oz @ 0
This is still going to be awfully bitter IMO. I personally have started to move away from that and have found I prefer later additions more so than earlier ones.

Something like:
.50oz @ 60
1oz @ 20
1oz @ 15
1.5oz @ 7
2oz @ 0

The differences seem slight but it will change the beers hop profile fairly drastically. I LOVE the heavy flavor and aroma without the face melting bitter this however is YOUR beer and I simply offer this up as suggestions for consideration.

I was thinking just about the same thing. I was going to suggest 2oz @ 10min instead of 1 @ 15 and 7 each, but otherwise the exact same as your first suggestion.

IMO the only thing I would alter for sure is the hop additions. For the record I REALLY like centennial hops. (I have 9 bines of it planted!) 2oz @ 60 is going to be REALLY bitter. If you like really bitter then leave it. If it was me I would hop:

1oz @ 60
1oz @ 30
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 7
2oz @ 0

Something like:
.50oz @ 60
1oz @ 20
1oz @ 15
1.5oz @ 7
2oz @ 0

As the others have mentioned I would reduce the carapils by 50% that is mostly adding mouth feel and head retention. If you are going to use that as a "steeping grain" I would also add in .5 to 1 pound of 2 row but once again I am treading into personal preferences. If you do this heat your water to 165F and then steep the grains for 45 to 90 minutes off the heat, remove the grains, then add your 1st jar/can of extract and bring it to a boil. This should extract some sugars that will help with the hop utilization and provide plenty of head retention.

IF you decide to change up your recipe let us know how you went and how it turned out. Now I want a centennial IPA...lol. :mug:

Can you give an example of a beer that has "face melting bitterness"? One of my favorite IPA's is Unearthly from Southern Tier and that has an IBU of 153. It's so well balanced though that the hops don't seem so overbearing.

Back