Ginger in a cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damien

Reaction score
M considering adding some ginger to a batch of cider fermented with saison yeast when I transfer to the secondary. Comments are very welcome. Send them to me.

Sounds good. Some folks say that candied ginger works better that steeping regular. I've never done it, but either way it would probably be nice. I've tasted Stone's original ginger wine before at it's excellant. I think a cider/ginger combo would be nice.

Like someone else said, if you're hesitant, then make a 1 gallon batch.

i have added fresh ginger to a cider (thank the maker- a small batch. wait- i'm the maker), fresh it tasted amazing, after fermenting it tasted like Ginger. and only ginger. nice, but, em, a bit heavy on the ginger. point is, the ginger taste comes on strong as the apple flavors recede with time so be careful; don't assume your final stuff will have a similar flavor profile to the starting juice. at least with fresh ginger, maybe candied is more tame/predictable?

What about just a little extract instead? My supplier sells Ginger extract for making Ginger Beer thought a bit of that might work.

Thanks. I was only going to do 1 gallon with 2 oz of sterile shaved ginger.

I think ginger would work well in cider. Angry Orchard (aka Boston Beer Co) makes a ginger cider that's pretty good. I would suggest putting in less than 2 oz. Ginger is pretty potent stuff.

I made a ginger mead about 5 years ago. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I believe I added 2 oz of sliced fresh ginger to a 3 gallon batch. I couldn't drink it in the beginning because the ginger was overpowering. After a year or so, the ginger mellowed and it was excellent. After about three years, the ginger had faded and was barely noticeable.

Thanks for the comments. Excellent suggestions by the way. I will heed them and just use a little bit in the secondary. Candied might be more predictable but I am eagerly avoiding adding extra sugars to my cider.

Back