King Kooker propane burner... reviews sought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Go for it it, the king kooker ain't that bad

• Hold out for a real burner or you'll be sorry

• Spend the $65 on the Banjo Cooker like the_Good_Bird told you

• Um... Ralph is scared of fire...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Hey folks. I have a gift certificate to northwest homebrewing supply that will just about cover this burner:

4072.jpg

Anyone have this and can advise about it? I am assuming it is a propane guzzler since the $100 one they offer only puts out 66K btu's (as compared to the 110K this one puts out) any thoughts. How much propane would I go through per boil??? I also want a brewpot but I do not like the options midwest has so I figured I would get this burner if it is any good and save for one of Northern brewers mega pots. If this the concensus is that this burner sucks I will get something elses with my certificat I guess so let me know.

Thanks. Doing my first AG as I type and am certain now that only one burner on my stove is hot enough! 2 pots...

( edit) oops, that should read King Kooker. Must remember not to drink and type

I would advise against this kind of burner. It'll put out enough heat, but the feedback from people that have them is that they're horribly inefficient and eat through the propane. Spend you gift card on something else you need, and pick up turkey fryer at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc for 1/2 the price of that burner.

How much propane are we talking?

I do not want a whole turkey fryer kit as I am holding out for a stainless mega pot. I saw a $30 burner by itself at my local HS but have no idea of output other than it works with pots 30 qt. and less (not very hot I assume)

I agree with Sparky. I picked up a 7.5 gal. turkey fryer for $40 at Bi-mart. I don't know the btu rating but it takes about 30 minutes to boil 5.5 - 6 gal.

Good Luck,

man, I wish I got cash instead of a gift certificate! I was trying to hint at northern brewer (for the pot) but I did not hint well enough... doh.

how do I add a poll to this?

is 210K a bit much? I will not be using a keggle (yet) so ???

I some day will probably have a keggle but for now I cannot track down a keg... legally.

knights of Gambrinus said:
man, I wish I got cash instead of a gift certificate! I was trying to hint at northern brewer (for the pot) but I did not hint well enough... doh.

how do I add a poll to this?

If you can't add one, PM me what you want the poll to be and I'll add it for you.

knights of Gambrinus said:
How much propane are we talking?

I do not want a whole turkey fryer kit as I am holding out for a stainless mega pot. I saw a $30 burner by itself at my local HS but have no idea of output other than it works with pots 30 qt. and less (not very hot I assume)

You can't use an extra pot... for something? If you can't use if as your HLT, then how about for a fish fry? crawfish boil? frying turkeys? ;)

A cheap turkey fryer kit will work fine. I stick by my advise.

Original Quote from the_bird:
Spend $65 at Amazon or homedepot.com and get the 210k BTU Banjo Cooker

I bought one the other day from amazon. The company that I bought it from won't be able to get the banjo cookers (210,000 BTU's) in until around mid June. So I had them refund my monies and looked at getting one from Agrisupply.com. I found this website from Bobby M. Not bad deal, it will be here in a few more days.

FNnewguy said:
Original Quote from the_bird:
Spend $65 at Amazon or homedepot.com and get the 210k BTU Banjo Cooker

I bought one the other day from amazon. The company that I bought it from won't be able to get the banjo cookers (210,000 BTU's) in until around mid June. So I had them refund my monies and looked at getting one from Agrisupply.com. I found this website from Bobby M. Not bad deal, it will be here in a few more days.

There are two listings on Amazon; one ships immediately, one seems to take a while.

ah well, back to the drawing board. I looked for another deal on that one, nothing yet.

Thanks anyways.

I was planning on buying a burner, but might hold off. I used my gas smoker and was impressed. I've only done one batch on it so far, so I do not have any solid data on how fast it goes through gas.

(Scroll through following thread for pic https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28613)

Just another option for the guy who likes beer and smoked meat. (That doesn't sound right does it?)

I would pass on the burner you pictured. The 110 k BTU is misleading. That doesn't necessarily mean more heat output. That figure refers to the heat content of the amount of gas it pumps out based on it all burning efficiently. These jet type burners are so inefficient that the 66 k burner actually puts out more usable heat. The few extra bucks will pay for itself in the first couple of propane refills.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

okay, thanks folks. King kooker is out. I will figure out another way to spend my gift certificate...

I got my 210 on amazon for 65 about three weeks ago, looks like the price went up sense then. But its worth it.

that 110 BTU cooker would be great too. I only turned mine up a little passed 1/4.

Short Drive said:
I Bought three of these at agrisupply.com for $16.95 each and $15 shipping
49469.jpg

The 170,000 BTU burner and high pressure regulator was what I was after.

How well do they work? How much propane do they eat?

Short Drive said:
I Bought three of these at agrisupply.com for $16.95 each and $15 shipping
49469.jpg

The 170,000 BTU burner and high pressure regulator was what I was after.

I'm not sure how much weight I would put on that stand... looks a little flimsy. The price is right for the burner and the reg, though!

I bought them just for the burners and regulators to put in the rig I'm building. When they get here I'll do a test on boil times and propane cunsumption

Latest posts

Back