How do I Build a False Bottom for Rectangular MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMOX

Reaction score
Does anyone have ideas for how I could build a false bottom for my 48 qt. rectangular cooler MLT?

I was thinking about using a piece of plastic corrugated roofing and drilling tiny holes throughout.

Other ideas?

Easy, use CPVC and a few hours of your time.

MLT-2.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a manifold - I currently have a CPVC manifold. I was wanting to build a false bottom, as folks often use in keggles or round coolers.

I understand that you want a false bottom. That being said, I'd go with the manifold approach.

If you're set on a false bottom, though.....

Measure the dimension of your MLT approximately 1 inch from the bottom. Find a suitable rectangle of plastic/ plexiglass/ aluminum/ stainless.
Drill, drill, drill until you have enough holes to suit you. Add legs to give it stability.
It really shouldn't be a problem to make one. Good luck trying to buy one. I'd just go with the manifold.

I understand that you want a false bottom. That being said, I'd go with the manifold approach.

If you're set on a false bottom, though.....

Measure the dimension of your MLT approximately 1 inch from the bottom. Find a suitable rectangle of plastic/ plexiglass/ aluminum/ stainless.
Drill, drill, drill until you have enough holes to suit you. Add legs to give it stability.
It really shouldn't be a problem to make one. Good luck trying to buy one. I'd just go with the manifold.

Yeah the manifold is the way to go. If you did go with a false bottom, how are you plannind to get the wort out without having a huge deadspace? A manifold under the false bottom?

This is my false bottom:

4688-mashtun.JPG

I made it out of perforated stainless from www.onlinemetals.com (3/32" holes, around .030" thick). Tin snips and a bench mounted sander made it pretty easy to shape. A few sheet metal screws provide standoff from the bottom of the cooler (less than 1").

I've seen well over 80% efficiency.

Back