glacier hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
Anyone ever use Glacier hops? My first brew calls for glacier hops (extract kit). I'm just wondering what to expect this brew to taste like. I love pale ales (boulevard pale ale, Sierra Nevada pale ale, flying dog doggy style). Here are the ingredients.

Ingredients (Included):
6 lbs Light LME
2.0 lb. Maris Otter
0.50 lb. Light Munich
0.75 lb. Carahell
.15 oz Centennial hops (Bittering)
1.0 oz Glacier hops (Bittering)
0.5 oz Glacier hops (1st Flavoring)
0.5 oz Glacier hops (2nd Flavoring)
0.5 oz Glacier hops (Aroma)
2.0 oz Glacier hops (Dry-hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Wyeast 1056

Glacier hops do not seem to common, do I have to worry about "freshness"?

I've used Glacier a couple of times and have never had stale or old hops. Then again, they were pellets.

I usually use them as bittering for porters/stouts, but the aroma is very nice and not something that would be out of place in a Pale Ale or IPA.

I've used them. I never really got a lot of flavor from them but never used them alone. I dry hoped with 1 oz of them once but didn't get much effect. I just made a all Glacier APA. I've only tasted the FG sample. I'd say it's a lot like Willamette but I don't like it as much. In few weeks I'll taste the finished product and get a better idea of what they taste like. I still have 3/4 of a pound to use up.

I have some glacier (along with warrior, simcoe, amarillo and pallisade) in the IPA I'm drinking right now. Tastes good! If you have the kit already, go for it! Then you can report back what glacier tastes like... :mug:

I've used glacier a few times, and I'm quite happy with it. I don't think it's flavor is as distinctive as Willamette, I'd liken it more to US Goldings.
It's a tasty hop, and I suspect the recipe will come out great.

Don't fear the beer!

Glacier hops are used regularly by me in PA and IPA's. Great stuff.

My Glacier APA is on now. It was a extract brew and finished very high at 1.020 (I used Williams 2-row liquid extract that I had used some of for starters.) Sweet aroma, not a lot of flavor and dry finish.

OG 1.046, 35 IBU, 6 SRM.
5 lb 10 oz Pale Liquid Extract
8 oz Victory Malt
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

60 mins 0.75 Glacier pellet 6.0
20 mins .75 Glacier pellet 6.0
5 mins 1.0 Glacier pellet 6.0

I think it's a good bittering hop but really needs something extra to carry a whole beer. It's lacking in flavor and aroma.

Hi, commenting on a dead thread, yay! I used Glacier twice in IPA-ish beers and I absolutely loved both brews. I can't speak to specific flavours or whatever, but it's really tasty as an aroma/flavour addition.

Latest posts

Back