Leftovers RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Figured i'd get rid of some of my leftover hops and try for a RyePA. I added some Special B to make it interesting. Looking through the database there are already a ton of people that have used them with Rye in similar recipes...good to see.

i have quite a lot of hops, but i don't really use my American varieties much. Figured I'd get rid of them now, seeing as they've been sitting in my freezer for some time. Let me know what you think...the grains are set (or i could add) but i have a bunch more hops of every kind and could certainly add/remove or change them around.

i'm going to use probably 0.25 lbs rice hulls with my mini-mash. I may dry hop as well...never really done it before so suggestions are welcome.

I'll be doing a partial boil (usually 4 gallons) so the IBUs may be off, but they're on the high side anyway.

Planning to brew this tomorrow, er, tonight (Thursday) using my PM grain in a bag method. Basically I heat the sparge water and then just teabag the grains for a few minutes to extract what i can. I don't get the best efficiency, but it makes for a clean, easy mash while saving lots of time and using no extra equipment. the beers have turned out great so far. Hope this one does too!

:rockin:

American RyePA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.25
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.90
Anticipated SRM: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 66.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17.8 2.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
8.9 1.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.9 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6
4.4 0.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
4.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.2 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
53.3 6.00 lbs. Briess DME- Light America 1.046 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 12.20 49.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.40 14.3 20 min.
0.50 oz. Saaz Whole 7.00 2.2 5 min.

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Looks awesome DB.

I bet the rye will be perfect with the centennial. I've never had the balls to use a noble hop for aroma in an IPA, but I've always speculated. Let us know how it turns out.

thanks guys...glad it sounds good.

i'm not usually into very hoppy beers, but i think the saaz will add a nice soft aroma...plus it's an american high AA variety so that helps make it more IPA-esque, right? ;)

ya know, looking at the gravity/hops ratio, i am quite high on the hops...i think i'll cut down my bittering and flavor to 0.75 ounces...that should put it more in the 50 IBU range and, while still being "extra hoppy" will keep it more balanced.

i'll just have to use the rest in another pale ale. look out world, Death is joining the hop heads this summer! :D

If you want to get the most out of the least amount of hops use a high AA to bitter then add the rest with 15 or less minutes. check out my Fat Owl recipe, the steeping hops really bring out the flavor w/o the bitterness.

hmm...maybe i should just use the remaining centenniel and columbus at the end? i'll definitely consider it. your cooling/steeping method is interesting and i'm sure gives a LOT of aroma. i may skip on the dry-hopping after all...

DeathBrewer said:
hmm...maybe i should just use the remaining centenniel and columbus at the end? i'll definitely consider it. your cooling/steeping method is interesting and i'm sure gives a LOT of aroma. i may skip on the dry-hopping after all...

I wish I could take the credit for that idea but I tweaked the original recipe,

http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/104

til I got what I wanted

well, i ended up using all the saaz that was left in the bag (about 1.2 oz) and throwing it in with the wort at about 115F (just when i got to it...it was a busy night of brewing, kegging and drinking.) i guess technically this IS dry-hopping since it's still with the wort.

it's now in mah bucket happily bubbling away. This should be an interesting brew

:mug:

how did this turn out?

i was working on a ryepa recipe with columbus and centennial and was debating adding some Saaz at flame out and/or dry hop

man...it's been a while. If I remember, it was good, with the rye adding the slightest character and the perhaps a little too much complexity from the mix (spiciness of rye plus special b, plus all that hops) but it was still tasty.

I'd probably forgo the special b now, bitter with something more neutral and change the hops a bit.

HOWEVER, I'm still a fan of american saaz in a hoppy american beer! :)
:mug:

Latest posts

Back