Dry hopping math???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specwar

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been on the forum for almost a year now, and have gained some GREAT info from all of you, and until now have never posted anything. (because I've been able to search and find all my answers) But I've looked and looked, and looked..... and I can't seem to find an answer to this question:

When converting recipes up or down in size (AG or extract) how does this affect the amount of hops for dry hopping?

The easy answer would be to half the amount going from 10gal to 5gal....or double it going the opposite way. But I figure since that's not the way IBU's work, dry hopping might be similar. (even though IBU's aren't involved)

Any thoughts anyone...would love some insight!

Cheers! :mug:

I wouldn't bother with that too much since dry hopping doesn't affect bitterness but aroma.

I tend to go with 2oz per 5 gallons om dry hopping. Its all a matter of opinion tho really. Depends on how much aroma you are after.

It's for my SN Torpedo Clone....so I guess I'll try the 10gal quantities in my 5gal batch. The worst thing that can happen is I'm not thrilled and I get to make it again...right? :D

The worst that could happen is that it'll be hoppy smelling beer. Heck, if you dont like that then you can send it my way, i'd be glad to take it off your hands. :mug:

Don't over-do it, try my trick of steeping hops at 95 deg C, strain, cool, freeze into ice cubes. Add 2 cubes to a pint glass.

(1 gm of hops per 15 ml water, I make 15 ml ice cubes)

The worst that could happen is that it'll be hoppy smelling beer. Heck, if you dont like that then you can send it my way, i'd be glad to take it off your hands. :mug:

I think I'll be able to manage:cross:but if for some reason I can't I'll be sure to let you know :mug:

Don't over-do it, try my trick of steeping hops at 95 deg C, strain, cool, freeze into ice cubes. Add 2 cubes to a pint glass.

(1 gm of hops per 15 ml water, I make 15 ml ice cubes)

That sounds like an evening experiment! I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out. Do you just use whatever aroma hops you would be using for dry hoping and make the ice cubes with those?

Answering the original question: ABV has virtually no impact on hop oil extraction during dry hopping and volume is a ratio, double volume, double the hops.

Although many people use massive amounts of one type of hop, I feel you get better results using smaller amounts of several hops. My favorite IPA recipe (3CPA) uses Cascades, Perl and Amarillo mixed, for flavor aroma and dry hopping. Grapefruit juice for the first week, then fantastic.

Cool. That actually sounds similar to what I was planning on doing. My SN Torpedo Clone is calling for Crystal, Magnum and Citra in 3oz, 2oz and 1oz ratios (respectively). This is for a 10gal batch where as I'm only doing a 5gal. (Hence, the original question).

Back