Quick Question About Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnoobie

Reaction score
In relation to bottling, I just want to confirm something with the group here. I have my flat and fermented brew in primary fermenter completed. I now rach it to a secondary, and then go right on ahead and add in the boiled/dissolved corn sugar to the secondary, and proceed to bottle, yes? Does it have to sit in the secondary for any length of time before bottling, or can I jump right in?

Followup question - what if i want to put some in bottles and some in growlers? Is the process different?

In relation to bottling, I just want to confirm something with the group here. I have my flat and fermented brew in primary fermenter completed. I now rach it to a secondary, and then go right on ahead and add in the boiled/dissolved corn sugar to the secondary, and proceed to bottle, yes? Does it have to sit in the secondary for any length of time before bottling, or can I jump right in?

Followup question - what if i want to put some in bottles and some in growlers? Is the process different?

I use a bottling bucket rack my beer into it with half of my "cooled sugar"
when my bucket is half full i add the rest of the sugar and bottle right
away.:tank:

no just add it to your bottles

I do it just like thunder expect I don't bother cooling my simple syrup.

It is not advisable to use growler since most of them are not made for carbonation pressure and tend to turn into bottle bombs.

Two options: (1) You can rack it to a bottling bucket, then proceed by adding corn sugar and bottle. Or, (2) rack it to secondary (do not add priming sugar yet) let it sit for two weeks for clearing. Then after at least 2 weeks transfer to the bottling bucket-> prime->bottle.

Hmmm. Okay, so here's what this is...I have had this brew sitting in primary for quite a while, longer than it's supposed to, as I kind of forgot about it. It's been in since mid-January. Someone told me to just rack it to a bottling bucket, prime it, and bottle, since it's been in there so long. I also don't know that I am going to try and bottle all of the 5 gal. batch, as I don't know that I will really want it all. I might try to rack over 2-3 gallons and just toss the rest. I don't have high hopes for the taste anyhow.

So how does this sound....I will rack to a secondary 5 gallon bucket and immediately add the corn sugar, then bottle in how long, an hour or so?

why would you toss it out? Mid january until now is not that long. Mix some corn sugar with water and bring it to a boil ( I am not up on carbing to style, I use 1 oz of corn sugar per gallon) pour that into your bottling bucket ( or secondary) then rack the beer over it. It will mix on its own. Then rack from there into bottles and cap. No need to wait between the sugar addition and bottling.

Only reason I would toss a portion of the batch is just because i don't know what I would do with all of the 5 gal batch. No other reason than that.

I asked about the growler thing because I have been to homebrew club functions where people bring their carbonated home brew in growlers....how is that accomplished?

Only reason I would toss a portion of the batch is just because i don't know what I would do with all of the 5 gal batch. No other reason than that.

I asked about the growler thing because I have been to homebrew club functions where people bring their carbonated home brew in growlers....how is that accomplished?

people with kegs fill the growlers before bringing them to wherever they're going. They don't stay carbonated very long.

Just bottle all of it. Wouldn't that suck if you bottled 3 gallons of it and realized it was one of the greatest things known to man and you gave 2 gallons of it to the drain.

Fill bottling bucket with beer. Drain off pint of beer. Heat pint of beer. Dissolve sugar in heated beer. Add to bottling bucket. Fill bottles. :cool:

Growlers are usually filled with already carbed beer....but I've seen some that I swear were bottle carbed so I can't tell you one way or the other. With the large bottom surface area I'd say don't do it unless you know it's a sturdy bottle. A few psi x a big bottom = boom if you're not careful I'd think.

Growlers are usually filled with already carbed beer....but I've seen some that I swear were bottle carbed so I can't tell you one way or the other. With the large bottom surface area I'd say don't do it unless you know it's a sturdy bottle. A few psi x a big bottom = boom if you're not careful I'd think.

Don't do it. They are not designed for that pressure. They are for kegged (already carbonated) beers filled from the tap used for transport.

Back