Target Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
Does anyone use Target Hops?
I made an IPA using them along with Cascade as the bittering and flavor hops. The beer, although good, has a slight earthy taste to it.
Anyone else experience this?
Thanks

I believe that Target hops are an english variety, of which 'earthy' is often used as a descriptor (along with floral, and spicy), like Fuggles and Kent Goldings. Target hops, however, are generally higher in IBU's. If you used the Target as flavor/aroma additions I would think that might be the cause of the "earthiness". If you'd done it the other way around (Target for bittering, Cascade for flavor), you'd have more of a citrus character there......

Yeah, earthy is a description I've heard for them. As I understand it Targets are more often used for bittering than for late additions. That said, Brakspear brewery over here make a fantastic bitter that is, I think, all Target, so there is an exception to every rule.

Target is a UK variety, a cross of Northern Brewer and Goldings. Normally used for bittering, it has an acceptable flavor and aroma profile (IMO). Actually, I find the aroma quite pleasant, though the flavor is a bit coarse. Really, it's quite unique. I've never encountered another variety which even substitutes well for Target.

Bob

well, here we are nearly a year later and I'm looking down the barrel of an english IPA due to a lb of Target hops, along with a lb of goldings. A search brought back this thread which I'd forgotten. My question is for Bob - Bob, are you out there?: If you like the aroma but find the flavor a bit rough, would it stand to reason that I could use some for 5 and 0 minute additions along with my planned goldings additions? would they be good for dryhopping? anybody else have experience with target? thanks.

Still here, old fruit.

Let me put it like this: I've had all-Target beers before. I've had Target bittered beers finished with Goldings. I prefer the latter. ;)

Don't get me wrong - you can use Target all the way through and still have a very good beer. It's worth an experiment, if you've got a full pound of the stuff. Who knows? Maybe you'll hit on a winner!

Bob

You're so lucky to have some of those hops. I've been dying to try some for some english beers. The only english variety my LHBS carries year round is fuggles. He gets EKG once in a while but never has any Target or Challenger. I'm so jealous... :D

As far as English hops are concerned, what I'm really curious to try myself is northdown, but that stuff is truly impossible to find......last year Northern Brewer had it for sale in 1lb increments but it went so fast I didn't get in on it in time......my favorite commercial ESB, from Summit in Minneapolis, is dryhopped with northdown. The beer has a beautiful hop flavor and aroma, grassy, earthy, thirst quenching....just plain excellent. I'm pretty sure it's the northdown that I like so much.

You're so lucky to have some of those hops. I've been dying to try some for some english beers. The only english variety my LHBS carries year round is fuggles. He gets EKG once in a while but never has any Target or Challenger. I'm so jealous... :D

I'd be glad to swap some if you really want to try them....mine are leaf hops.

As far as English hops are concerned, what I'm really curious to try myself is northdown, but that stuff is truly impossible to find......last year Northern Brewer had it for sale in 1lb increments but it went so fast I didn't get in on it in time......my favorite commercial ESB, from Summit in Minneapolis, is dryhopped with northdown. The beer has a beautiful hop flavor and aroma, grassy, earthy, thirst quenching....just plain excellent. I'm pretty sure it's the northdown that I like so much.

Hop and Grape in the UK has it. I ordered it in November and have used it in a few beers but haven't used it as a primary hop yet, so can't really comment on its aroma. It played second fiddle to a beer a brewed last weekend. Challenger was 2/3 of the additions with Northdown as the other 1/3. But it's not ready for tasting yet. Used it for bittering a Dry Stout and a RIS with great results.

From just smelling them, though, Challenger smells better to me. The Northdown was pretty soft in the aroma while the Challenger was much spicier and earthier. But that's just from smelling the hops.

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/detailV2_8.asp?itemid=NOR20142061&catid=GOL2104982

BTW, that's a vacuum packed chunk of hops, 125 grams. It's packed so tightly together it's like one gigantic hop plug.

Dunno how much shipping would be to the States, but to ship to Croatia isn't too much if I only order yeast and hops from them. For instance, just ordered 6 yeast strains from them and some hops and the shipping is under 6 pounds sterling.

well, I chickened out....I brewed up an english IPA (1.065 @ 65 ibu's)with target as the bittering and 1/2 of the 30 min addition. I couldn't bring myself to go all target, especially after smelling them side by side with ekg....they even smelled "coarse". maybe I'll do a half batch esb and a half batch porter and go all target and see how they fare in light and dark brews respectively......

FYI,
I just added Target to my website. They are sold in 4/oz increments so you can experiment without having to buy a whole pound. I also have Northdown, Challanger, and EKG.

Back