Boiling Bottle Caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
For my first batch I soaked my caps in one-step.

Second batch I read that I should just boil for 5 minutes... well I did that but it looks like I ruined the caps... the center of the plastic looks like swiss cheese...

So instead of using those I soaked a new batch of caps in StarSan and used them instead....

What's up with the boiling method and is there any problem using StarSan for my caps?

I generally use starsan, just because it is faster. I'm guessing the ones that you boiled and ended up screwed up had the oxidizing plastic stuff which don't do so well with boiling. Just stick with the star san from now on - its easier and you can avoid these types of things

Once I found about the oxygen barrier, I stopped doing anything about sanitizing caps. Just be careful getting them out of the bag, don't touch the inside, etc. Even at the brewery we don't sanitize caps. Just scoop 'em out of the box they came in and put 'em in the hopper.

No problems doing it that way.

For the non-O2 eaters:
1. Place caps in strainer/colander
2. Dip entire strainer in StarSan/Iodophor
3. Remove from sanitizer and shake gently to drain
4. Use caps

For the non-O2 eaters:
1. Place caps in strainer/colander
2. Dip entire strainer in StarSan/Iodophor
3. Remove from sanitizer and shake gently to drain
4. Use caps

To make it even easier:

Grab handful of caps, dunk in sanitizer, cap away.

yeah, i take a small glass bowl, fill half way with Star San, count caps needed +5 drop into bowl. Fill bottles, grab cap as needed shake cap and cap bottle. Well That's what I used to do, Now I *insert Kegging 'I'm better than you' comment*. :D

Back