No, you don't have to drill into your upright freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-P

Reaction score
Yay, I got a plastic ace root-mold conical and an upright freezer. What's this? The freezer is plenty wide and tall, but not quite deep enough hold the conical. No problem. I'll just put a collar on it like a keezer to extend it out. I just need to drill a few small holes to attach the collar to the freezer and we should be good to go. Here we go... Bzzzzz. PSSSSSSSSSSHHHH!

Does this sound familiar? Well I learned the "don't drill into a freezer" lesson the hard way. The good news is that this experienced forced me to put on my thinking cap and come up with a creative way of attaching a collar to an upright freezer WITHOUT drilling into the freezer. So here ya go, HBT.

All you need are two ratchet tie-downs, four handle-pulls, and some screws and you're good to go.

Screw two handle-pulls to each side of the vertical pieces of the collar - one toward the top, the other toward the bottom. Then simply hook the ratchet tie down to one handle-pull and feed it around the back of the freezer (all the way around) to the handle on the other side. Now ratchet that sucker down tight. Be sure to get the collar seated where you want it before the tie-downs are too tight. Do the same thing with the bottom.

Once you've secured the frame to the freezer you can caulk the seams and add foil-backed foam board insulation or great stuff to add some r-value.

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 4.04.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 4.04.59 PM.jpg

Back