DuPont Yeast stuck/slow. Can I use Champagne?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
Brewing a saison with Wyeast 3724 and having the classic challenge of a stuck/slow primary. This morning, I was hovering around 1.018 after two weeks in the primary.

So should I let it go or can I pitch champagne yeast to help finish her off?

Any help is appreciated.

Posting your recipe/process would help a lot. Champagne yeast will probably take your FG way too low. Two weeks isnt very long, i'd wait at least one more before even assuming something is wrong.

Yeah, I don't think pitching champagne yeast is the answer. That stuff is notoriously slow, and the temperature question is a good question. That yeast likes it hot!

This ^

I just fermented a batch at 87-90 degrees, went from 1.054 to 1.004 in 4 days.

Brewing a saison with Wyeast 3724 and having the classic challenge of a stuck/slow primary. This morning, I was hovering around 1.018 after two weeks in the primary.

Any help is appreciated.

Make sure your temp is high enough. Champagne yeast cannot breakdown maltotriose sugars and will leave residual sweetness if the beer is not finished, especially if using EC1118 Champagne yeast, it is a "killer" strain and the beer yeast will be gone once you add that strain because all beer yeast falls in the "susceptible" category.

Raise the temp, or put the carboy in a corner and let the 3724 do its thing for 1-2 months.

1.018 in only two weeks is quite good for this yeast. Just let it do it's thing like everybody else has said.
It sucks having your fermenter tied up for 4-8 weeks, though :)

Let it sit. Wait it out, it's worth the wait. Forget about it for 4 to 6 weeks.

Thanks all. temperature is over 85. I can't be more specific than that since the little tape thermometer doesn't go any higher. I am pleased with the smell/taste so no alarm bells. The carboy is actually wrapped in a blanket and set next to a heater vent. Wish I had more control over the process but that's life at the moment. Used the same strain over the summer with great success, though my apartment was probably 80 degrees at the time.

This is an all pils batch. OG 1.065. I am very excited to do a "straight saison."

Any help is appreciated.

Eh, if you are @ 1.018 with 1st gen 3724 after just 2 weeks you are golden.

Latest posts

Back