Source for inexpensive copper tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peripatetic

Reaction score
I have a 25' 3/8" immersion chiller that worked great for partial boils but isn't cutting it for full 5 gallon boils. I want to get 50 or 60' of 1/2" copper tubing to build a new immersion chiller, but Lowes wants over $50 for that amount. Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for the copper tubing?

Also, second question -- what is the best thing to use to attach to the copper? The immersion chiller that I bought on eBay has this cheap plastic stuff that just about melted when I put the chiller in the boiling wort to sanitize. However, since so many people recommend that approach, I figure there must be something out there that works.

Thanks!

find Bobby_m's video howtos for building your own immersion chiller. Then get the tubing from coppertubingsales.com

Ask the manager of the plumbing department @ HD or Lowes if they have any copper they want to clear off the shelves. I bought 60 feet of 1/2" for $27 that way. Get them started on a conversation of home brewing and that often gets the ball rolling.

I am in the heating and air trade, and we have a few barrels full of scrap copper that has been pulled out of houses when we change out systems or left over ends of new rolls, 3/8 is the most common size. You may need to solder a few pieces together to get 50 feet. This is what I have done. I would think if you talked to a local company and told them what you needed they would save it for you, just offer them scrap price or a case of beer.

I got 50' of 1/2" from menards for 38 bucks, (regular price)....best price I could find anywhere, (and much cheaper than coppertubingsales.com)

Call around to your local plumbing supply store(s) - that's the cheapest place I could find it around here.

Back