All Grain Stout Recipe, how to balance bitterness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently brewed a stout and its more bitter than I would like due to the roasted barley I added. Could I balance this by adding raspberry puree or a few vanilla beans during secondary fermentation? It's going to be drinkable but I want it to be be less bitter.
My Stout recipe as follows:
7# 2 row (american)
2# Black Barley
2# Cystal 80L
2# Flaked Oats
1# Roasted Barley
2oz East Kent Hops

Thanks for any advice you can offer up. I should be racking to secondary in a day or two.

How old is it? Stouts will mellow considerably after a couple months of aging. I just took a first taste of an Oatmeal Stout that I made in April and it came together great.

37OliveStBrews said:
Hi All,
I recently brewed a stout and its more bitter than I would like due to the roasted barley I added. Could I balance this by adding raspberry puree or a few vanilla beans during secondary fermentation? It's going to be drinkable but I want it to be be less bitter.
My Stout recipe as follows:
7# 2 row (american)
2# Black Barley
2# Cystal 80L
2# Flaked Oats
1# Roasted Barley
2oz East Kent Hops

Thanks for any advice you can offer up. I should be racking to secondary in a day or two.

I believe its a combination of the black barley and roasted...it seems like alot to me...it may mellow, but i dont think there is any covering up that much roasted grain

I believe its a combination of the black barley and roasted...it seems like alot to me...it may mellow, but i dont think there is any covering up that much roasted grain

Yes I agree it was a lot of roasted grain. I bought and brewed the ingredients on a whim. Usually I go with recipe kits, but I obviously have learned a valuable lesson about ingredients by brewing this.

Back