Got Good DME reciepe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberjoey80

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just had a really long post about some trouble with beer being to sweet (all my batches) except for the one when I used some DME. I was hoping (hopping hehe...ok stupid) that someone had a good recipe (thats hard to mess up really bad) for a fairly new brewer. I want to see if I have better luck with DME. I like IPA's and Samuel Smiths Winter Ale, Redhook, Sam Adams, etc etc. If someone can kindly point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Right now I have just a glimmer of hope and a really well stocked LHBS. I have not bought anything for my next batch as I just tried to make another IPA and it is currently bubbling away in a hall closet (aka the beer room). The sky is the limit. I will be kegging though and probably doing a partial boil unless I can get my hands on a bigger pot for next time.

Any recipe that calls for LME can use DME. You just use a little less DME because DME yields a few more gravity points per pound than LME. 0.85 pound DME is about equal to 1 pound LME as a rule.
So, if you're using 6.6 pounds LME (for example) in a recipe, you could use 5.6 pounds DME in the same recipe with no problems. (check the math, please- I'm a math weakling). For those who use brewing software, this is calculated for you.

Since you think your beers are finishing too sweet, I would recommend trying a beer that's known to be NOT sweet at all. My Redhook ESB has a hint of sweetness, for example. Pick a commerical beer you like, and then we'll help you find a recipe for it. Or, at least, point you in the right direction. I like my beers malty (which you might perceive as sweet), If you tell us a commercial example you like, we could help you pinpoint a recipe to try.

Lorena

Ok. Thanks for the DME conversion. Another entry into my beer notebook. Lets go with Sam Adams. I really like their stuff (Boston Lager by the way) Thanks. Also, I have a book with 150 cloned reciepes in it (no sammy though) but if anyone wants anything, let me know.

Back