Length of Blowoff hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
My Alt is currently going at it in my 6 gal. carboy primary. The glass of sanitizer that has my blow off hose in it is bubbling like mad, and smells great, :D if you like the smell of fermenting beer! The hose that leads from the stopper in the carboy to the class could probably be a foot or so shorter and still reach the glass just fine, but I didn't really want to cut the hose. Is shorter better, i.e. less chance for it to get clogged etc? and is there any possible impact on the fermentation to having slightly elevated internal pressure in the carboy (I guess there must be some pressure in there, judging on the way it shoots little spits of foam through the hose).

I don't think there's any significant pressure in there as long as nothing is clogged. I wouldn't worry about the length of the hose. It's Friday after all ;)

Seriously, I think this is a detail that makes no differenece at all.

As a lover of the smell of good fermenting beer, I can relate to your happiness. Glad the Alt is going so well. Cheers! :D

D-brewmeister said:
My Alt is currently going at it in my 6 gal. carboy primary. The glass of sanitizer that has my blow off hose in it is bubbling like mad, and smells great, :D if you like the smell of fermenting beer! The hose that leads from the stopper in the carboy to the class could probably be a foot or so shorter and still reach the glass just fine, but I didn't really want to cut the hose. Is shorter better, i.e. less chance for it to get clogged etc? and is there any possible impact on the fermentation to having slightly elevated internal pressure in the carboy (I guess there must be some pressure in there, judging on the way it shoots little spits of foam through the hose).

I think the blowoff vessel is a huge factor too. I used a hastily setup blow-off system using the siphon tubing and an empty beer bottle I filled 1/4 w/ water. Yeah....didn't quite work. The guy at the HBS said it was most likely because I used a 12 oz. bottle to blow-off into. Not enough room to receive the blow-off pressure from the fermenter. I'm not really sure if any of that makes sense.....I haven't had any coffee yet this morning. Bottom line, next time I need a blow-off system, I'm just going to use my bottling bucket.....

I use about a 3 food 1 inch blow off tube unto a 3 gallon bucket filled about 1/2 way........ 6 inches or so.

Also add liquid soap to the blowoff water, this way nothing grows in there....... also keeps the water from smelling :cool:

What kind of carboy stopper do you use? I can see the benifits of a larger diam. blowoff hoze - less risk of a clogged hoze, and the resulting geyser of beer!

Back