Yeast Starter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmink311

Reaction score
I am getting ready to boil my next batch,it is a lager and i have been adding to my starter more wort for the last 3 days. It is up to about a half gallon right now and is very active. I don't want any off flavors in my beer,What should I do?? Here is my recipe!1 x AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen
- 1% Alcohol Boost: Yes
- Kit Option: Mini-Mash
- Ice Pack: Yes
- BrewVint Yeast Fuel: No Thanks
- Beer Bottle Caps: Yes
- Priming Sugar: Include Priming Sugar
- Yeast Option: Wyeast Octoberfest Lager 2633 (Oktoberfest for my starter I have been using 1 quart water and 1 cup light DME 3 times for 3 consecutive days,each time i dropped the temp 5 degrees and it currently about 53 degrees.

I cover the top of my flask (or bottle or jar) with aluminium foil and put it in the fridge for about half an hour to let the yeast settle. I then pour off most of the "beer" until it's just a little beer and then mostly yeast, swirl it around and then pitch.

Easiest way is to chill the starter and decant the clear liquid off the top, then pour the slurry into your wort. Hope that helps.

Back