Sanitizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig Star San. 1 oz makes 5 gallons worth of sanitizing solution. You can pick up a 32oz bottle for <$20. As an added bonus the stuff stays effective indefinitely. I've got a 6 gallon bucket that I keep full of Star San and just keep reusing it.

Pros
Simple
Affordable
No Need to Rinse
Reusable

Cons
I had a bottle that ended up laying on its side and it some how leaked out of the cap and onto my carpet.... Now I've got a nice little bald spot in my carpet. Literally turned the carpet into mush and ate through to the floor board. Intense.

...As an added bonus the stuff stays effective indefinitely.
If you use distilled water it will stay effective for a longer time. I believe that's also dependent on the ph. of the mix. After a certain point it's just no good. I used to use Onestep and make a 5 gal. batch, stuff up to 14 bottles at a time into the bucket and let then sit for a few minutes each. Took freekin' forever, used too much sanitiser, yadda, yadda, yadda. Starsan + vinator = :D For my fellow bottlers, that is...

I use distilled water to dilute my Star San, and I keep it for months and months. Test the pH periodically to make sure it's low enough (3 or below) and just add water, concentrate or both as necessary to top off and keep the pH right.

I also find that over time the Star San at the bottom of the bucket gets little bits of dust and debris in it. Rack it off into a new bucket, or strain it out, and it's pretty much good as new.

I dig Star San. 1 oz makes 5 gallons worth of sanitizing solution. You can pick up a 32oz bottle for <$20. As an added bonus the stuff stays effective indefinitely. I've got a 6 gallon bucket that I keep full of Star San and just keep reusing it.

Pros
Simple
Affordable
No Need to Rinse
Reusable

Cons
I had a bottle that ended up laying on its side and it some how leaked out of the cap and onto my carpet.... Now I've got a nice little bald spot in my carpet. Literally turned the carpet into mush and ate through to the floor board. Intense.

genius, gonna buy some tuesday when my local brew shop opens

Please do support your LHBS but be warned that the sub $20 price I mentioned earlier may very well be out the window. Think my LHBS is in the low $30's for the 32oz bottle but, it is what it is.

+1 for Star San. Not cheap but works great. I recently paid $26 for a 32 oz bottle at a local supply shop but can find it online for nearly $10 cheaper from the same places I order kits so it splits the shipping. Spend local if you can without breaking yourself.

I have PBW for cleaning, Oxy Clean for heavy cleaning and star san for sanitizing. The cleaning agents are really cheap and star san goes a long way too. SO oce you have it gathered up it will be a long time before you need more. Star san is available in 4,8 16 and 32 Oz sizes for the home brewer so depending on you output you can decide how large of a bottle to get. I started with an 8 oz bottle and use it in a sprayer and a vinator and have zero issues so far. I use about a teaspoon in a quart of water so it goes a long long way for me.
Bob

Any good "dry" options? Airlines have a no go on corrosive cleaning fluids which I suspect incldue star san!

why would you need it on an airplane???

To Join the Mile High Brew Club, duh.

Seriously though... I don't understand this either. Maybe the OP is OCD and afraid of germ contamination while on public transportation?

Sorry, I forget that just because I've posted it in other threads people won't know it here!
I live in Jamaica so buy most of my brew items when traveling and bring them back with me on the pane (or get them shipped down airfreight).

It's not that I'm a freak (well not in this case!)

Sorry, I forget that just because I've posted it in other threads people won't know it here!
I live in Jamaica so buy most of my brew items when traveling and bring them back with me on the pane (or get them shipped down airfreight).

It's not that I'm a freak (well not in this case!)

you can always ship it!

One Step isn't certified as a sanitizer - there is some discussion on here about whether it would work over time as an effective sanitizer or not.

The other popular commercial sanitizer, in addition to Star San, is Iodophor, an iodine based sanitizer.

Latest posts

Back