Mixing Premade Worts - Festa Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOPigBrewing

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a "lazy" porter recipe using Magnotta's Fest Brew (premade) wort. I have used these in the past, in a pinch, and I've been relatively happy with the outcome. They currently don't have a porter wort available, but I was able to locate a wort mixing matrix that outlines which worts to combine in order to create a beer type they do not offer in a standalone. Below is the link to the wort mixing matrix. For a porter they recommended mixing the Double Oatmeal Stout wort with the Brown Ale wort. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience doing this or if anyone can see any potential issues with this approach...outside of it being lazy way to brew. Thanks!

www.barleyandgrapes.com/documents/Festa_Brew_Wort_Blending_Matrix.pdf

I do festas and brewhouse regularly and often mix after fermenting. It's safe for sure. My guess would be that it would be fine to ferment first and mix and then carb, either forced or bottle conditioned.

Thanks for the response! I ended up calling the Magnotta head office and the guy says he does it all the time, but officially they don't provide a mixing chart. I'll find out in 2 weeks how I did.

TOPigBrewing said:
Thanks for the response! I ended up calling the Magnotta head office and the guy says he does it all the time, but officially they don't provide a mixing chart. I'll find out in 2 weeks how I did.

For the record, how did you do with this porter? My raspberry wheat is still in secondary, but coming along nicely according to my hydrometer...

Turned out great! I mixed equal parts of their brown ale and oatmeal stout wort. Ended up with a nice smooth porter. It's a lazy way to do it, but in a pinch definitely worth it.

Back