Wheat Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing a very large batch this weekend (35 gallons planned). I normally use Wyeast #3942 Belgian Style Wheat Ale Yeast for this recipe. I am obviously doing extract and ordering everything online. The website I am using is out of Wyeast #3942. Has anyone used a dry wheat ale yeast and had good results that is similar to #3942?

not a dry yeast, but I like Wyeast 1010, agressive crisp, American Wheat Style (though a little sulphur-ish smelling during primary ferm)

I've used safbrew wb-06 for a few wheats, including a dunkelweizen, with success. I'm not sure you'll get as many esters as the Belgian but can't say for sure since I try to keep them minimal to fit the tastes of my crowd of beer drinkers. Overall we were happy with it though for half the cost of a liquid.

1010 worked out really for us, but you probably wont get the esters that you're looking for with the Belgian strain

Looking at the descriptions, you may even want to take a look at safbrews s-33...says it can be used for Belgian style wheats. I don't have any experience with it though.

I love S-33 and the guy who first recommended it was using it for wheats. It's fruity, but not "dark" fruity like cherry, plum, etc. I get more apricot, pear, etc from it.

Back