What speed for stir plate should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losman26

Reaction score
I'm making a lager starter with a stir-starter, stir plate. How fast should I have the fan going for the stir plate? Should I set it at full speed, low or medium?

Thanks!

Good question but not sure your going to get a solid answer. Of course, you need enough spin for the amount of water you have, and if its 2L, a high speed will be needed to get the vortex going. I am guessing here but i really doubt it matters, but if there is some science to back it up than id study it.

Mine are always enough to get a good vortex, about the middle to high setting.

You'll toss the bar off the magnet and it won't do anything... Slowly increase the speed of the fan spinning the bar until you have a solid vortex and it's stable.

Tossing the bar is usually not the case the Stir Starters and a flask. Dan Jeska has provided a nice stir bar that doesn't get thrown off with a flask.

is it usually best to let it run 24 hours and then pitch the starter into wort?

It depends. If it's a relatively small starter, it's good to pitch it at high krausen- usually about 18 hours.

But if you're making a big starter, you may want to make it in advance so you can fridge and then decant the spent wort before pitching.

is it usually best to let it run 24 hours and then pitch the starter into wort?

Again, no solid answer except 18 to 36 hours. Too short of time on and you wont get maximum growth, too long and the yeast could start eating each other.

I do 18 to 24 hours depending on the yeast health and do both methods of either decanting if i made it early enough, or pitch right from stirplate if thats what ends up happening. Sometimes they wont get going till day 2, and yes, i always see krausen on my stirplated starters. If i didnt see krausen, i wouldnt worry, but would cold crash to see what results i got.

It depends. If it's a relatively small starter, it's good to pitch it at high krausen- usually about 18 hours.

But if you're making a big starter, you may want to make it in advance so you can fridge and then decant the spent wort before pitching.
It's 1.5 liters, do you think it needs to be decanted?

Your using a good middle path, 1.5L for 18 hours and either pitch all or cold crash and decant if your early

But, i have a 1.5L starter going right now from 2 month old yeast. It didnt show my usual starter results, color change, krausen, expected smell, so i waited and two days in it really changed. Right now its a nice creamy brown and krausen, so, i reset the clock and let it go longer in this case.

Fresh yeast and your good in 18 hours.

Your using a good middle path, 1.5L for 18 hours and either pitch all or cold crash and decant if your early
Well I guess I probably should have made this starter later today as I probably won't be able to pitch until 24 hours later sometime tomorrow. Should I throw it in the fridge at 18 hours? Or should I just turn off the stir plate or keep it going until I pitch it? What's the longest I should leave the stir plate on for?

What are the yeast specs? Smack pack?

Spin for 24 and you will be fine. pitch directly if the timing works out.

Longest time depends on the starters lag, as i mentioned earlier.

Experience is the best knowledge for you at this time. So, that said, Spin for 24 and you will be fine. pitch directly if the timing works out. You can tell how well the starter is if its a nice cream brown color, and is spinning off CO2, you will get good multiplication. Dont turn it off and leave it at room temp for a day, viability will act funny.

What are the yeast specs? Smack pack?

Spin for 24 and you will be fine. pitch directly if the timing works out.

Longest time depends on the starters lag, as i mentioned earlier.

Experience is the best knowledge for you at this time. So, that said, Spin for 24 and you will be fine. pitch directly if the timing works out. You can tell how well the starter is if its a nice cream brown color, and is spinning off CO2, you will get good multiplication. Dont turn it off and leave it at room temp for a day, viability will act funny.
The yeast i'm using is Wyeast Bohemian. The lager brew I'm doing is estimated to have an OG of 1.040. Right now, 6 hours into it, I see a lot of co2 and the color is getting lighter.

Back