Anybody like columbus hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I purchased 1# of columbus hops and I have yet to find anything they go good with.

In one batch I ended up with an aftertaste like gin and juice:drunk: but the begining of the taste is the columbus. (6#munich blend 1oz columbus 60min
some crystal60 I think and 1 oz centennial at 5 min notty or 05, cant remember) Pretty simple but with that wierrd ginny taste.

I never got that with columbus. I do use it as my primary bittering hop, but I also have used it as flavor, aroma, and dry hop (thinking about an all columbus IPA). It is...pungent, but I have never got a gin taste from it. It is a really "dank" hop. To me it has a deep, heavy flavor compared to most of the more citrusy and piny west coast hops. It probably won't be to everyone's taste. But I can tell ya, I will always have a lb or more in my freezer.

So, in my opinion, don't pull away from columbus just yet. Give it a chance to shine for you.

Im not scared:cross:

They are dank arent they.

I think it was parring them with the centennial that gave the gin taste.

I have made a session IPA with them and it is quite tasty with no off flavors.

perhaps. That gin taste...Do you think it could be comparable to a "tea" like flavor? I have gotten that in a few of my brews with columbus and I haven't figured out why.

no, it is definatly ginny. dont suppose it was from the munich malt? I think it is 60/40 munich,two row.

never used the munich before.

I have been using Columbus in a lot of my beers lately; (got a good deal on a full lb). The batch I am currently drinking is a Cream Ale that has .33oz FWH & .33 oz @ 60 min. (4 gal batch size). Dang good, not dank at all.

Columbus is one of my favorite bittering hops. Do a search for my 4 batch day and there is a recipe in there for an Amarillo citra pale ale that uses Columbus to bitter.
tom

If I had to choose just one hop for the rest of my life, it would be Columbus. Or maybe Amarillo... But I really like Columbus for my IPA and Stout.

I'm also a big fan of columbus. I love that dank, herbal flavor and smell. On a few batches I used so much that the dank herbs took over and I got paranoid, just like the old days! LOL

Seriously though they pair well with a lot of the citrusy hops and seem to round a beer out quite well.

I think Columbus hops are the bees knees! In my opinion one of the best hops out there, they have a distinct flavor and aroma that gets me excited every time.

I dry hopped with it recently and was amazed at how long the aroma lasted. My mom, who's a hop head, raved about it and demanded another batch!

Centennial brings out the best in Columbus, but I've been curious to do a Columbus SMaSH to taste the hop by itself. Avery Hog Heaven uses Columbus as the only hop, and I really dig it.

I pair Columbus & Centennial all the time. I arranged a double-blind tasting of several commercial pale ales along with four of my homebrew APAs, all homebrews made using the same grain bill but with different finishing/dry hops. The homebrew using Columbus and Centennial was the hands-down winner of the tasting. #2 was Poleeko Gold.

I made a black IPA with 2 oz of columbus...it turned out excellent paired with citra....

dank, and citrusy, grape fruity....I will pleased as pie with it, won 3rd on a local contest, just sent the same beer to Miami for the Coconut Cup....

What's an example hopping schedule you'd use with the two in an IPA? I've been looking for a hop that goes really well with Columbus.

I did an "American Saison" which kinda tasted like a Belgian IPA, I guess...maybe?

7 lb. Belgian pilsner malt
4 lb. German wheat malt
.5 lb. Aromatic malt
1 lb. Turbinado sugar

1 oz. Columbus (60)
.25 oz. Columbus (20)
.25 oz. Centennial (20)
.75 oz. Columbus (0)
.25 oz. Centennial (0)

Wyeast 3724

The combination of the Columbus and Centennials along with the saison yeast was pretty amazing.

I have had great luck pairing Columbus with Cascade and Chinook in separate IPAs. I need to remake the Chinook/Columbus mix and rack it onto some bourbon and oak, like Founders Hand of Doom. As mentioned previously by others in the thread, I also use Columbus to bitter just about every style of beer - I have a pound and a half in the freezer and already want to order more.

Back