Husband Dumps Out Store Bought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
This is funny. My husband bought an assortment of beers from around the world and I don't know how many he has tried and dumped. He says my beers are way better. This must be true, because I would never drink the stuff from the stores. Now I am a beer drinker! :)

Jennifer

Hey Petunia...

Have you got a single, spentster, older sister, or maybe a widowed mom perhaps?

Pogo

uh, no. Maybe try Craigs List or something. They're getting pretty good with cloning these days, but I wouldn't want to unleash any carbon copies of me on the world. Enough trouble already.

;)

Hey Petunia...

Have you got a single, spentster, older sister, or maybe a widowed mom perhaps?

Pogo

While I generally like a good homebrew more than something I bought at the store, there's no point in throwing out good beer just because it wasn't made at home. Just chug it.

Cooking is all about the ingredients. If you wont ingest them by themselves why would you cook with them? I like a good pale ale to cook with, heavier beers tend to caramelize(burn) and produce off flavors. Belgians and wheats bring too much yeasty flavor. I'm not a complete snob, in my defense I had a couple of buds with the guys at the bar on Thurs.

If you are going to hang me for this, make it quick and use a long rope. :D

Beers from around the world?
Hey there must have been a couple of good ones in there...

what a waste, youre not being a true beer lover if you ditch some decent ones... :(

There are lots of things that I cook with that I wouldn't ingest by themselves... Flour, salt, garlic and onions come to mind....

Your missing out if you don't just eat scoops of unbleached flour with a nice cream stout to wash it down :D

I dump out portions of a lot of commercial beers as well. In PA the only way to buy beer is by the case. I have a place that does sampler cases. 24 different brews of a similar style. I buy these cases on occasion. Generally most are good, some are decent enough to drink and a few are sink worthy.

I bought a Winter Warmer case recently and there are , unfortunately, more beers that I don't like than normal. I have dumped out maybe 5 so far out of 18.

I have absolutely no problem with dumping a beer I don't like. The sooner it is gone the sooner I can be drinking a beer I like (and I ALWAYS have tens of cases of beer that I love on hand) and life is way too short to drink bad beer.

life is way too short to drink bad beer.

+1

I make more beer than I can drink so i always have something good available. If i don't like something I have no problem dumping it. However I also have a decent amount of space to store bottles. So if I don't like a beer at first, I end up storing it and sampling it every once in a while to see if anything has improved.

And I have had a couple beers that were better for cooking than for drinking. Cooking with a beer completely changes the flavors. My favorite beers probably would not cook well, while some I don't care for make a great marinade.

Craig

There are lots of things that I cook with that I wouldn't ingest by themselves... Flour, salt, garlic and onions come to mind....
Drop the flour and the rest are great either alone or paired with dinner. Caramelized onions, mmmm. Roasted garlic, mmmm. Salt too if you stay away from the iodized crap. No my health doesn't suffer. Low BP, cholesterol, and weight. Bring on the heartstoppers!

I've dumped many a commercial brew and several home brews from friends. If I don't like it I won't choke it down. Period. No sense in forcing oneself...

I am glad you said that- I made the mistake fo doing a taste test with one of my old faves- Spaten against my first big homebrew batch. I have a case left and its undrinkable now.
I was going to give it away to the farmboy from Iowa who drinks anything, but maybe I will toss it in the roast beef pan.

Back