pH Correction - Need help bring UP the pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What can I use for pH correction towards the basic end? I'm at pH 5.05 20 min into the mash, and I need it to get up to the 5.3-5.6 range. I added 1/4 tsp baking soda, but that didn't do anything. Is it safe to add red devil lye NaOH?

baking soda. it skyrockets your sodium (as it's NaHCO3) so hopefully you have low sodium to begin with. i roughly calculate about 6 grams baking soda. about 1.5 teaspoons.

also did you correct pH for temperature?

What can I use for pH correction towards the basic end? I'm at pH 5.05 20 min into the mash, and I need it to get up to the 5.3-5.6 range. I added 1/4 tsp baking soda, but that didn't do anything. Is it safe to add red devil lye NaOH?

If you added baking soda to something at pH 5.05 and nothing happened something is wrong here. What was your grist composition. It would be unusual to have a pH as low as 5.05 unless you added a lot of roast and/or high kilned crystal malt or used sauermalz or acid in another form. What is your water's alkalinity? How big a mash are we talking about here? How do you measure pH? Given the report of 5.05 I assume a meter was involved. So when was it last calibrated? How fresh are the buffers?

You will probably be OK at pH 5.05. It's not ideal but shouldn't have much of a detrimental effect on the beer.

Most brewers use calcium carbonate to raise mash pH but you can use sodium bicarbonate, calcium hydroxide (pickling lime), calcium carbonate, sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide etc. Anything you use should be food grade and that sort of puts Red Devil out of the picture.

If you added baking soda to something at pH 5.05 and nothing happened something is wrong here. What was your grist composition. It would be unusual to have a pH as low as 5.05 unless you added a lot of roast and/or high kilned crystal malt or used sauermalz or acid in another form. What is your water's alkalinity? How big a mash are we talking about here? How do you measure pH? Given the report of 5.05 I assume a meter was involved. So when was it last calibrated? How fresh are the buffers?

==Water profile (measured by Ward Labs)==
Ca: 41
Mg: 12
HCO3: 136
SO4: 9
Na: 11
Cl: 13
pH: 7.8

==Added water agents==
1 g gypsum
1 g calcium chloride
0.3 g epsom salt

==Grains in mash==
4.3 lb US 2-row
6 oz Biscuit
6 oz C120
Mashing at 1.5 qt/lb, 68C.

The meter was last calibrated yesterday by SWMBO who is a structural biologist in her lab.

You will probably be OK at pH 5.05. It's not ideal but shouldn't have much of a detrimental effect on the beer.

Most brewers use calcium carbonate to raise mash pH but you can use sodium bicarbonate, calcium hydroxide (pickling lime), calcium carbonate, sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide etc. Anything you use should be food grade and that sort of puts Red Devil out of the picture.

Yeah. After adding the ~1 gram of baking soda or so without anything happening, I figured I'd RDWHAHB instead of adding loads of sodium. I'm not sure what happened today, it kind of confuses me why the pH would be so low. I had phosphoric acid to correct it if it was too high, but didn't have many good options for the other direction.

Thanks for the list of correction agents too.

well, baking soda won't spike sodium THAT much, but if you have high Na like I do it'll just make it worse.

anyway, i'm sure it'll be fine at 5.05

==Water profile (measured by Ward Labs)==
Ca: 41
Mg: 12
HCO3: 136
SO4: 9
Na: 11
Cl: 13
pH: 7.8

A goodly, but not huge, amount of alkalinity there.

==Added water agents==
1 g gypsum
1 g calcium chloride
0.3 g epsom salt

Assuming 5 gallons treated, that should leave you about 58 ppm as CaCO3 residual alkalinity.

==Grains in mash==
4.3 lb US 2-row
6 oz Biscuit
6 oz C120
Mashing at 1.5 qt/lb, 68C.

Don't know about the biscuit but the C120 does have a fair amount of acid. Assuming the biscuit is about the same I still don't think there's enough to push you that low.

The meter was last calibrated yesterday by SWMBO who is a structural biologist in her lab.

Though I just posted in another thread about an electrode that held its cal for 2 months that is most unusual. Daily calibration (or a daily check) is a good idea and so at this point my suspicion is aimed at the meter. Can you have her do a check (not a recal) on it tomorrow?

After adding the ~1 gram of baking soda or so without anything happening
Adding that much bicarb to just the post treatment water would raise the pH to 7.9 and the RA to 90. I'd still expect some movement in the mash pH.

I figured I'd RDWHAHB instead of adding loads of sodium.

I think that was the best thing to do.

Even if you cut your water with 50%RO, I don't see how you could have that low of pH, with that grain bill.

Back