Just finished 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregris

Reaction score
First of all, let me thank everyone at this forum for making everything so easy. After reading probably 100s of posts, my first AG went very smoothly. I made a Northern Brewer kit - British Bitter to be exact. My numbers came out too good, though - it makes me skeptical! Either that or beginner's luck kicked in.

(Recipe = 6# Crisp Maris Otter, 0.75# Simpsons Caramel Malt. 1oz EKG at 60m, 1 tab Whirlfloc at 15m, 1 oz. EKG at 1m)

I struck in 12 qts at 170 and the infusion was for an hour, starting at around 156 and ending around 149. I batch sparged 10 qts at somewhere around 165-170, and then again 8 quarts at around 165. My pre-boil SG was 1.036 (adj. for temp), which the computer said was 92.5% pre-boil efficiency and it predicted an OG of 1.046 (way over the 1.039 that was intended for the recipe).

My kettle took forever to boil, but that was because it was my first time with the turkey fryer and I don't really know how to set it yet for optimal performance. The boil went fine, and the post-boil SG was 1.039 (adj. for temp.) - exactly the expected recipe OG. This is an 80.8% efficiency according to the computer.

This is what I'm surprised at - I was expecting around 60-70% for my first time, and I know some guys start out around 40-50%! Did I just get lucky, or is AG really this easy?

(Sorry for the long post and all the numbers)

Sorry if I sounded like I was gloating - I'm just on a little success high right now. I don't want to get people mad at me:eek:

Congrats. Looks like you did really well. Beginners luck had nothing to do with it. It was all due to your skill as a brewer. :) When your next few batches come out with similar efficiency, you will know that it was due to your skill.

And yes, it really is that easy. It just takes a bit longer

-a.

Congrat's on the first AG!! Think you're excited now? Wait until you pop that first "ready" one open. Hopefully you'll have more than a six pack of it left by then....I made that mistake myself :D

Congrats, you did great. I hope you can keep fermentation below 67F so your beer will not have off flavors. This is especially important the first 3 to 4 days.

thats great news. your recipe sounds like my first ag which was went fine on the brewday but turned out ****. like yours kettle took a long time to boil. main problem was when i tasted it and it was horrible. really astringently bitter. don't ever squeeze the the grain like i did.

my beers are awesome now though. lesson learned.

Well I am pissed off, because my 1st AG didn't go half as well. You are now on my "enemies list." Welcome to hell.

Just kidding. Congrats on a successful batch man. I hope the beer turns out great.

Congrats on the efficiency!!!

The beers are SO MUCH better done the all grain way. Well, mine have been anyway.

What recipe are you doing next?

Back