Saskatoon Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louis

Reaction score
Hello,

I usually do beer, wines, and ports. Here is my first venture into Melomel. I'm currently brewing this so I will update it as I go and move it to the Recipe DB when I am done.

Ingredients
-------------
15.4 lbs (7 kg) of local farm honey
3lbs + 7lbs of farm fresh Saskatoons
Yeast Nutrients
Dry Yeast

Extra Equipment
------------------
Flask and Stir Plate
Grain Bag
Glass Marbles
Heat belt

Prep
-------------
Freeze your berries!

Yeast Starter (well, sort of)
-----------------------------
Normally I would have used a liquid yeast and created a yeast starter. This time I was using a dry yeast. I added 1L of warm water, yeast nutrients, and dry yeast to my flask and aerated it for 15 mins on my stir plate.

Instructions (so far)
----------------------
1. Warm your honey, I did not boil my honey at all. I wanted to keep as much of the flower profile included in the honey as possible. Plus I read to much on the big debate regarding the need to boil honey and just went simple.

2. Clean and Sanitize!

3. Add honey and warm water to reach target volumn to primary bucket and mix well. Vigorously stir the mixture to aerate the must and mix the honey.

4. Measure the OG. Oops I skipped this step. Occasionally I get a little lazy. In this case I just forgot about it.

5. Add the glass marbles and 3lbs Saskatoons to your grain bag. The marbles will help sink the grain bag. I did not have enough marbles to counter the boyency of the bag. One of my spoons does fit in my primary bucket with the lid on so I am using that to hold the fruit below the surface.

6. Move to a elevated position and use the heat belt if necessary (December 28th, 2015).

Future Steps
-------------
  • I expect the primary fermentation to take up to 14 days. It is bubbling quite well right now.

• After primary fermentation I intend to add the remaining 7lbs of Saskatoons. I will need to remove the old ones and clean the bag. I will transfer the must to new bucket at this point and expect to see some renewed fermentation due to the berries. My must is already turning a reddish colour so I expect this to deepen.

• After another 14-28 days (maybe less, based on activity and colour) I will transfer to a carboy for clearing. I expect two or three rounds in a carboy. Between 14-28 days between racking, maybe longer.

• I should net around 30 bottles for this. I recommend clear bottles - you want to show off the colour!

I have several pounds of Saskatoons, Service Berries, in the freezer and want to something with them bedsides pie and jam.
Couple more questions for you; What variety of yeast and type of nutrients are you using?
Also how juicy are your berries? Mine are not as juicy as say a blackberry.less juice per #.
Finally, why the heat belt?

I have several pounds of Saskatoons, Service Berries, in the freezer and want to something with them bedsides pie and jam.
Couple more questions for you; What variety of yeast and type of nutrients are you using?
Also how juicy are your berries? Mine are not as juicy as say a blackberry.less juice per #.
Finally, why the heat belt?

I will have to check how juicy my berries are - if you think your berries are not juicy enough or have enough berries you could always do a smaller batch.

I was just using a dry wine yeast because that was what I had on hand. I'm not sure what yeast nutrients I was using either - sorry. (Wow, I'm just a wealth of information this time) I will find that out though.

I use a heat belt because I brew in my basement and it is cooler than the rest of my house. So for primary fermentation it keeps it at a nice comfortable tempature. I'd your brewing area is warmer then you will not need it.

My fermnter is 5 gal and I am using 12.5 lbs of honey and 3 lbs of fruit... You have not made any reference to batch size or yeast's alcohol tolerance. I am going to assume that this is for a 9 gallon recipe and your

Warm honey enouph to make it easier to pour into the fermenter is what I do, and I never boil honey. The thing is, I have seen online, records of traditional mead recipes (from a gazillion years ago) and they did boil honey and water mixture for hours. They also worried about water quality. They had these huge oak barrels which they stuck underground and aged at least for 20 years.

I suppose it's a worthy experiment to try to boil the honey... See, I also think they had different issues. The honey I get is processed using modern day scientific equipment, bee keeping/honey farming is younger then US of A so they used wild honey collected from different hives.

I would be interested into seeing a discussion about this, but I don't think that today we need to do this while using store bought Spring Water. Mix honey, water, a bunch of chemicals, mix with a drill attachment at room temperatures... Dry yeast 2 packs toss into empty container from Chinese takeout, add water some other chemical and wait 20 min. Dump that mess into your fermntor and use the drill attachment until drill's battery dies. Have to remember to recharge the drill since have to use it to degass for the next 8 days.

SNA:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/improve-mead-staggered-nutrient-additions/

Price is everything. If juice costs less then fresh fruit, get the juice (as long as it reads 100% juice) . :) We are adding fruit because it's cheap, otherwise use juice. Generally speaking fruit's skin needs to be cut for alcohol to extract flavors faster. It simply will take longer for alcohol inside your mead to path through the defensive layers of the fruit (it's skin).

There is a difference between adding fruit at pitching versus after all the honey has fermented. Basically wash/dry and run through your mixer like 3 lbs of berries (for a 5 gal batch) and toss em in later.

I don't know much about Saskatoons.

Sound ok to me...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_alnifolia

We call them service berries in this part of the world. They are great fruit to grow at home. Very low soil requirements, little pruning and no bugs. Taste similar to a blueberry. A bit dryer with larger seeds. In the wild they are often mealy from lack of water, but still very good. Seem to be low acid and fairly low tannin. Plants can be any thing from a scraggly little bush to a 20' tall fully branched tree. Can't hardly kill them with cold either.
As far as juice verses fruit, some of us use what we have. Called doing it the hard way. Freezing fruit really brings out the juice. Pectic enzyme added pre-fermentation helps as well. I will run mine through an old school food mill when I get a carboy freed up.
Looking forward to hearing more details on the brew.

January 3rd (day 7). I've been stirring the Saskatoon melomel once every day or two.

The yeast is still going at it. I took a gravity reading this evening - 1.054. About half way. I expected the primary fermentation to go for about 14 days.

The colour is a bit of a rosy pink. Pressed a couple berries in the fermenter didn't yeild a lot of jucie. I might crush the remaining 7 lbs before I add them but it doesn't look like I will have too.

I took some pictures to give you an idea of the colour.

View attachment 1451881520113.jpg

View attachment 1451881543850.jpg

Price is everything. If juice costs less then fresh fruit, get the juice (as long as it reads 100% juice) . :)

I would argue that freshly grown berries are better than juice or store bought friut any day. Despite the price. I'm not saying that fresh grocery store bought fruit or 100% juice will not make a great wine or mead.

But I would choose home grown or Farm fresh every time if I could. Just sample a couple fresh berries of your choice vs what you can buy in the store.

That is my opinion of course.

I would argue that freshly grown berries are better than juice or store bought friut any day. Despite the price. I'm not saying that fresh grocery store bought fruit or 100% juice will not make a great wine or mead.

But I would choose home grown or Farm fresh every time if I could. Just sample a couple fresh berries of your choice vs what you can buy in the store.

That is my opinion of course.

If you are buying from a farm, and their juice is cheaper then their berries whole ?

If you are buying from a farm, and their juice is cheaper then their berries whole ?

We have a lot of u-picks around where I live. I never compared the price actually, I would guess that it can be cheaper at the store. But I would pay more for a better product than something imported from the store.

When the next season opens up I will be paying more attention to the price.

We have a lot of u-picks around where I live. I never compared the price actually, I would guess that it can be cheaper at the store. But I would pay more for a better product than something imported from the store.

When the next season opens up I will be paying more attention to the price.

I am in NYC and I have to drive for a while to get to a farm. My question for you is if money is not a big issue, and the same farm that you use (with good reputation of not mixing cane sugars and water into their juices) will you buy the fresh juice or the raw fruit? :)

under those equal conditions I am leaning towards using juice. Another issue is when I have no idea what is inside the juice, added preservatives, sugars and what not?

Just a theory :)

I am in NYC and I have to drive for a while to get to a farm. My question for you is if money is not a big issue, and the same farm that you use (with good reputation of not mixing cane sugars and water into their juices) will you buy the fresh juice or the raw fruit? :)

under those equal conditions I am leaning towards using juice. Another issue is when I have no idea what is inside the juice, added preservatives, sugars and what not?

Just a theory :)

You have point there - location is everything. If I was in NYC - I would be using what I could get from the store or juice. The farms around Calgary AB don't sell juice (well, as far as I know). But if they did I would be wary of any one that did mix cane sugars and water. If they did offer juice I think I would still buy the fruit... though I have nothing to really back that up. I expect that you get some properties from the flesh of the fruit itself, tannings, colour, etc. I would also be concern about unknown additives in the juice.

Not sure about other parts of the world, but I don't believe you are going to find service berry juice for sale at any store. They are a fairly common wild plant and are being grown in some areas commercially, but not anywhere near here. Mostly in parts of Canada as far I can tell. Their are thousands of acres devoted to blueberries in Washington State . I would be surprised if any Saskatoons are grown. The taste is unique and should make a good mead.

Not sure about other parts of the world, but I don't believe you are going to find service berry juice for sale at any store. They are a fairly common wild plant and are being grown in some areas commercially, but not anywhere near here. Mostly in parts of Canada as far I can tell. Their are thousands of acres devoted to blueberries in Washington State . I would be surprised if any Saskatoons are grown. The taste is unique and should make a good mead.

I agree! I am very eager to try this out. I hardly want to wait for it to finish. Part of me just want to stick a straw in barrel and start drinking... :mug:

really glad I stumbled upon this. I know of some great places to pick wild Saskatoons and for the past few years I've been meaning to go out and pick em for some brews! I'm subbed for future reference.

really glad I stumbled upon this. I know of some great places to pick wild Saskatoons and for the past few years I've been meaning to go out and pick em for some brews! I'm subbed for future reference.

I hope it helps you. I also found a couple more post that might interest you about Saskatoons, keep in mind most people outside of Canada don't call them Saskatoons but Service Berries or even Shadberry I guess.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=422493
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=258142
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=240657
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=259150

hey thanks louis! that's good to know.

there's a local brewpub that does a Saskatoon Ale but I'm pretty sure they use a berry extract. I've found bottles of the stuff and its pretty pricy. best to go out with a few pails this summer and store some in the freezer.

Back