Max 1 step starter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
Mr. Malty says 3 quart starter for my lager.

That would be 9 oz of DME.
Can I do that all at once or do I need to do a smaller starter first?

i always start small and work my way up...

i guess it's so the yeast don't get overwhelmed and the more the multiply, the more they can handle...so they're ready to go on to the next step

If I do a 2q starter first, when it's finished, do I just add another quart of mix or should I pour off the liquid from the first 2 quarts?

I usually let it settle really well then pour off about 1/2 of what is in the starter. There is still some yeast in suspension in the liquid so I don't pour it all out. I use the erhlemeyer flask. The shape makes it easier for me to pour out the liquid and keep the solids in the flask.

Cos said:
Mr. Malty says 3 quart starter for my lager.

That would be 9 oz of DME.
Can I do that all at once or do I need to do a smaller starter first?

If you're pitching a fresh pack (tube, vial whatever) you will be perfectly fine with at least 5 gallons of 1.040 wort. You only need to worry about stepping it up if you are starting from a small volume and going to a big volume, like from a single culture to a 5 gallon, or a tube/ vial to 10 barrels.

Hope this helps.

Back