Identifying local hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
I was just giving a big bag of local hops from a guy who overhead me talking about brewing. The thing is he has no clue what kind they are, just that they grow on his property. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could go about identifying them. I want to say chinook, but Im not sure, and I live no where near a home brew store. Any suggestions?

Only real way is to make a hop tea or a small batch of beer with only those hops.

Identifying hops is almost impossible. They have leaves that are different (on the same plant!) and the cones are the same way.

It's like identifying grape varieties- almost impossible even for experienced growers.

Despite what Yooper says, I can still tell, unfortunately I'm a busy man, it might take about 6 weeks to fully test the hops and confirm their identity through my state of the art laboratory. Just in case tests prove to be inconclusive, I might need about another oz or three.

:tank:

Im willing to ship some to anyone that might, because I know Im probably going to make the best beer ever and have no way to replicate it

Along with Paul, I can utilize my patented 52 step identification process, but it will likely take 3 full cycles of the process to confirm. That equals out to 9 oz that you need to send me before Paul's order.

Latest posts

Back