Are Hops Vines Destructive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadway

Reaction score
I plan on planting a few hops vines in front of my two story porch this year... and they will be climbing up strings to the second story.

The strings will only be a few inches away from the porch itself. I assume they will cling/climb on the railings as well as the string, and I'm cool with that... but...

What I'm wondering is, will the hop vines damage my screen, on the screened in porch if they start to try to cling to it?

I dont think they can damage a screen. They will definitely grab a hold of it if they come in contact but they are not going to rip it apart or anything.

Good luck growing!

The important thing to remember is that hops are bines not vines. Vines use tendrils and suckers to attach themselves to everything. Bines have stout stems with stiff hairs to aid in climbing. Bines act more like the stiffer part of velcro. The little hairs will easily grab into twine or other soft materials but can't do much with metal or glass.

I'm not sure what they would do with a screen, though. Let us know this fall, would ya?

Thanks for the advice...

I ended up only getting 2 varieties instead of 3... so I don't have one to put up in front of the screened in porch.

Latest posts

Back